Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite X-mas beer style/recipe?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
What's your favorite X-mas beer style/recipe?
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:56:13 am »
As pointed out in the 'what's brewing this week' thread, it's time to start thinking about and brewing holiday beers so they're in their prime for Santa's helpers. 

Curious what you folks like to brew for the holidays and or what you're thinking about for this year.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: What's your favorite X-mas beer style/recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:58:23 am »
I like to do strong beers that can age for a while if folks aren't in the mood right away, barley wines, BDS etc. I also like to add a little spice, or some other interest factor.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:00:59 am »
I like to do strong beers that can age for a while if folks aren't in the mood right away, barley wines, BDS etc. I also like to add a little spice, or some other interest factor.
What spice combo has beer your favorite or most appreciated by those you share with?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:41 am »
I'm currently a slave a to seasonal temps, so I also like to do my strong beers in the winter. I probably will end up doing a BDS and a strong Scotch ale this fall to be ready for X-mas time. If my brewing schedule allows I'd like to fit a Baltic porter in there somewhere, but we'll see if that actually happens.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:32 am »
The one I'm working on for this year is a Belgian dark strong as the base with black pepper and cardamom.  I have no idea how that spice profile will work out in this beer since I haven't done it before.  After primary is done I'm planning on a secondary fermentation with sour cherries and then a month or two on some oak cubes that have been soaking in kirschwasser. 

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:21 am »
Mine is 2 row base with some C-40, special roast,wheat and roast barley for color. I shoot for about 1.075 OG. Spice with orange peel, cinnamon and ginger(and this year including some star anise) in the boil and make a tincture out of the same spices to adjust at kegging.  I use magnum for bittering and cascade @ 20 min and 1 min. London Ale yeast @ 67 to ferment.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:26 am »
I'm sort of off the spiced beers these days.  But my favorite winter beers are old ale and dopplebock.

Either one in a snifter after the kids are in bed.  Even better if it's snowing out.

I suppose a bourbon stout would go in there as my top three.

The last couple of years I've just not enjoyed the spiced beers (pumpkin ale and x-mas ale) quite as much.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:35 am »
What spice combo has beer your favorite or most appreciated by those you share with?

I really liked the BDS I did two years ago. It was a simple BDS with three ginger additions in the boil, fresh, candied and a little dried. it took a while to settle down but around april of the next year it was delic. Last year I did a maple barley wine that didn't have enough maple. there is a hint of maple in it but it was pretty overwhelmed by the malt. This year.. compemplating a cinnamon beer as I have access so some true cinnamon which is a must nicer, more gentle flavour than the kind we generally get here in the states. Maybe an atomic fireball tripple? hmmm that actually sounds kinda good.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:56 am »
Last year I did a maple barley wine that didn't have enough maple. there is a hint of maple in it but it was pretty overwhelmed by the malt.

I'm not sure how you can get a strong maple flavor.  I've tried syrup and maple sugar (though never both in one batch) and it's always just a hint.

Perhaps using tons of syrup, but then you have maybe something different from beer.  Or maybe boiling it down to concentrate it?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:15 am »
Last year I did a maple barley wine that didn't have enough maple. there is a hint of maple in it but it was pretty overwhelmed by the malt.

I'm not sure how you can get a strong maple flavor.  I've tried syrup and maple sugar (though never both in one batch) and it's always just a hint.

Perhaps using tons of syrup, but then you have maybe something different from beer.  Or maybe boiling it down to concentrate it?

Id actually suggest not boiling it at all. Get a good Grade A amber maple syrup and toss it in the primary after most of fermentation is complete. I do this with a good locally raised organic honey and it comes through really well.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:21:11 am »
My favorite winter/Christmas beer is SN's Celebration, so I brew Dean Larson's "Christmas Tree Ale" recipe for the holidays.  and, of course, BVIP.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:57 am »
Id actually suggest not boiling it at all. Get a good Grade A amber maple syrup and toss it in the primary after most of fermentation is complete. I do this with a good locally raised organic honey and it comes through really well.

I've never tried maple syrup in beer, but I think Grade B has a stronger flavor (at least on waffles) and would provide a stronger maple flavor in lower amounts. You might need to try a few different grades from different producers and see which one has the best maple flavor.

http://www.vermontmaple.org/grades.php

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »

I've never tried maple syrup in beer, but I think Grade B has a stronger flavor (at least on waffles) and would provide a stronger maple flavor in lower amounts. You might need to try a few different grades from different producers and see which one has the best maple flavor.

You are right! My fault on that one.
Jason

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »
I like spiced ales, but only in small quantities. I go through a 12-rack of Harpoon Winter Warmer every winter and that's my limit. Porters, stouts and dopplebocks are generally my go-to winter beers. I may dabble with a 1-gallon batch of spiced beer if I have a free jug available.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »

You are right! My fault on that one.

I used grade B for sure. I don't even eat that pale, anemic grade A stuff if I can help it. (Can you tell I grew up in VT? is my flannel showing?). added at the end of the boil. primed the bottles with more. I ended up using about 3 lbs in 5 gallons. I suspect to get a really noticable flavour you would have add maybe twice that which gets you in the 60-70$ range on a 5 gallon batch yikes. I wonder about ageing on maple wood.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce