Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP002 VS Fermentis Safale S04  (Read 46812 times)

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
WLP002 VS Fermentis Safale S04
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »
Ok so I know there are detractors of dried yeasts here, but I have good luck with most of Fermentis products and use them a lot with very good results. I'm going to brew a stout that calls for using the WLP002 and wondered about the similarities if any between the two strains for these brands. How interchangeable might they be?

Anyone have first hand knowledge of what the S04 strain is and how it might work or be similar to the White Labs 002 strain? Both are English strains. Both suitable for similar English styles according to the descriptions.

Brewing Saturday and making a starter tomorrow if necessary with the liquid yeast unless somebody can confirm they are the same strain in which case I'll just pickup some S04 and rock that.

Thanks!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: WLP002 VS Fermentis Safale S04
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:00 pm »
No knowledge of 04, but I have done several batches w/ US-05.  I've done the same recipe w/ 05, 1056, and 001 and really couldn't tell any difference.  Then again, I didn't do a side by side comparison so I wouldn't call my opinions scientific.  I mainly stick w/ 05 now and just use liquid yeast for beers that really rely on the yeast for flavor (Hefe's, Saisons and other Belgians).  I do a milk stout and coconut milk stout both w/ 05 and they each turn out great.  There is definitely a difference when the beer starts to get really active fermentation, with the dry yeast taking up to a day longer to get there. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:57:31 pm »
I've used S-04 in couple of beers they turned out great, neutral yeast flavor, allows the hop/malt characters to come through
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:19:42 am »
Yeah S05 is Chico yeast - that's pretty well known. It's essentially same yeast as WLP001 or Wyeast 1056.
I've been using that regularly for years. Intimately familiar with it's flavor and behavior.

As for S04 being the same strain as WLP002 - that I do not know and THAT is really my question.

Seems as though it's highly likely. Both ferment quickly, have medium attenuation, and flocculate very well. Both are described as a widely used and/or popular English style Ale yeast. Both are recommended for same English beer styles, ESB, Milds, Bitters, Porters, Stouts etc.

I've brewed a few beers with S04 and WLP002 in the past and I recall being happy with the results but it's been probably 6 years! Guess I've been in a bit if a rut with American ales for awhile.

I'm running to my LHBS today to pickup ingredients for my Obsidian stout clone. Unless somebody can convince me they are the same, I think I'm going to get both yeasts and brew another batch of something else with the S04 another day. I'll make a starter with the WLP002 tonight so it's ready to rock Saturday morning. The Obsidian is pretty healthy clocking in at around 1.070 according to my Beersmith. I followed Jamil's podcast on formulating a clone and had some other information on a recipe from the web too. It was recommended by the brewer at Deschutes to overpitch a bit.

Thanks

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:38 am »
Since apparently no one knows, would you post back with your results after you're done blazing the trail for us?  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Everything I've read says S04 is the Whitbread strain, not the Fullers strain.

I really like the Wyeast 1968 (same as WLP002) yeast for English ales.  I don't think I've every used Whitbread, so I can't compare.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:34 am »
Everything I've read says S04 is the Whitbread strain, not the Fullers strain.

I really like the Wyeast 1968 (same as WLP002) yeast for English ales.  I don't think I've every used Whitbread, so I can't compare.

There we go...good information - thanks.

You know..... I still think they are probably pretty similar considering their pedigree but this is good information with which to start.

Since I bought two packets and vials of both respectively, I'm debating mixing them!
I thought of rehydrateing the S04 and pitching it with one vial of WLP002.

I will investigate the Whitbread and Fullers info available on the interwebs and decide.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:57 am »
OK upon further review of multiple and various internet sources it would appear:
  • As was mentioned above by Joe, S-04 is considered a Whitbread strain
  • There are two Whitbread strains out there and one is considered "dry" as in higher attenuation
  • Since the description from Fermentis indicated medium attenuation, I'm leaning toward the not so dry  strain
  • In either case it is not the same strain as WLP-002 which is the Fullers strain. Even if attenuation is similar, these yeasts have different flavor profiles
  • Seems as though S-04 is great for big, dark beers so it would definitely work for what I'm doing

So I'm going to pitch both vials of WLP-002 into a starter in my flask tonight and put them on the stir plate.

Saving the S04 for another day.

Thanks everyone

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:27 pm »
Since I bought two packets and vials of both respectively, I'm debating mixing them!

Rather than mix, I would recommend perhaps doing a split batch and fermenting one half with each strain so that you can compare the differences.

I used to use lots of Nottingham, but after doing a couple of split batches with WY1968 I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the flavor profile of Nottingham.  Too fruity and tart for me.

You can really taste the differences if you ferment the same wort with different yeasts.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »
S-04 has this nasty, bready, fruity flavor that is just not good, in my opinion.  But do what you want, it's your beer!
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »
S-04 has this nasty, bready, fruity flavor that is just not good, in my opinion.  But do what you want, it's your beer!

I heartily agree with both statements!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »

I heartily agree with both statements!

I used it once and had the same experience....not a fan
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
Wow....that's a lot of detractors for a yeast strain! Mr Conn's opinion along with the rest seals the deal for me. No offense to my other fellow brewers who gave their 2 cents by the way.

Nasty bready.....guess I'll just make some bread with it and forget about it.

The 002 is making a nice starter right now.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 07:05:41 pm »
You should really do a split batch and compare them for yourself. I'm a big fan of Denny, but I don't agree with him on everything. Taste is subjective, and you might find S-04 to be the best yeast ever, for your taste. I happen to like S-04 a lot, especially for making cider. I made a special bitter with S-04 I thought was good, but nothing fantastic. More of my friends loved that beer than any of the other beers I'd made before.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »
You should really do a split batch and compare them for yourself. I'm a big fan of Denny, but I don't agree with him on everything. Taste is subjective, and you might find S-04 to be the best yeast ever, for your taste. I happen to like S-04 a lot, especially for making cider. I made a special bitter with S-04 I thought was good, but nothing fantastic. More of my friends loved that beer than any of the other beers I'd made before.

+1 I've used S-04 a couple of times, and I thought it was good enough. I fermented quite cool with it, around 62F. I thought the fruity aspect came through a bit much for me, but it was still a very enjoyable beer.

I also like to use it for a bottling yeast.
Kyle M.