Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rice hulls  (Read 4958 times)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
rice hulls
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:31 am »
I tried a search on the topic but only came up with a thread in all grain for malt conditioning. I apologize if this has been asked before.  I am still rather new to all graining..I made a 10 gallon batch of wheat beer and had no idea how much rice hulls to place into it. I ended up dumping in a pound to alleviate the visions of stuck sparges dancing in my head.  Wow.. talk about my grain absorption rate going through the roof (didn't know at the time I should have presoaked them).   :o ..Two questions, would this much rice hulls have lead to a slight "greyish tinge" in the final color of my wheat?  It still tastes great..  and just how much rice hulls is enough?  Would an amount eqivalent to 1 ounce per pound of hull-less grain be appropriate?  thanks all....
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: rice hulls
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:41:09 am »
Its best to soak the rice hulls in water first, preferably at around the same temp as your mash.

Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:41 am »
I usually don't measure them and just use a couple handfuls per a 5 gallon batch.  As babalu87 mentioned. Soak them in water before adding to the mash.  Not sure about the "greyish tinge" thing???
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:49 am »
Its best to soak the rice hulls in water first, preferably at around the same temp as your mash.

Why you're adding them TO water...they'll soak in there...this doesn't make sense.
Jesse

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »

Why you're adding them TO water...they'll soak in there...this doesn't make sense.

Exactly, If you don't "presoak' the rice hulls they'll soak up a sizable amount of wort.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »

Exactly, If you don't "presoak' the rice hulls they'll soak up a sizable amount of wort.

I suppose that would depend on how much you're adding.  I don't imagine a couple hand fulls would make that big of a difference...
Jesse

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »
I guess it matters enough for me, but I'm stingy  ;)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »

I suppose that would depend on how much you're adding.  I don't imagine a couple hand fulls would make that big of a difference...

Its a HUGE difference
2 hand fulls of first runnings is the difference between 80+% efficiency and 75% efficiency
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:52:43 am »
thank you for the help.  Is a couple of handfulls for 5 gallons, correct? So I should have only used about 4 handfulls? Would it be the same for brewing a rye also (thinking about denny's rye ipa here) ?  thanks again.
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 07:59:41 am »
I use rice hulls regularly in my brewing.  I put about an inch thick layer
over the braid in the tun. I add hot water to the tun to Preheat the critter.
Then I swish the hulls and hot water around to wash the hulls...Yes,
the rice hulls are dirty as you will see.  Then I just open the drain on
the tun after the preheating and drain the dirty water out. Couple of times
of seeing the run off from them, no way do I want that in my beer.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.