General Category > Ingredients

rice hulls

(1/2) > >>

BrewQwest:
I tried a search on the topic but only came up with a thread in all grain for malt conditioning. I apologize if this has been asked before.  I am still rather new to all graining..I made a 10 gallon batch of wheat beer and had no idea how much rice hulls to place into it. I ended up dumping in a pound to alleviate the visions of stuck sparges dancing in my head.  Wow.. talk about my grain absorption rate going through the roof (didn't know at the time I should have presoaked them).   :o ..Two questions, would this much rice hulls have lead to a slight "greyish tinge" in the final color of my wheat?  It still tastes great..  and just how much rice hulls is enough?  Would an amount eqivalent to 1 ounce per pound of hull-less grain be appropriate?  thanks all....

babalu87:
Its best to soak the rice hulls in water first, preferably at around the same temp as your mash.

hamiltont:
I usually don't measure them and just use a couple handfuls per a 5 gallon batch.  As babalu87 mentioned. Soak them in water before adding to the mash.  Not sure about the "greyish tinge" thing???

beersk:

--- Quote from: babalu87 on February 15, 2010, 07:41:09 AM ---Its best to soak the rice hulls in water first, preferably at around the same temp as your mash.

--- End quote ---

Why you're adding them TO water...they'll soak in there...this doesn't make sense.

hamiltont:

--- Quote from: beersk on February 15, 2010, 11:41:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: babalu87 on February 15, 2010, 07:41:09 AM ---Its best to soak the rice hulls in water first, preferably at around the same temp as your mash.

--- End quote ---

Why you're adding them TO water...they'll soak in there...this doesn't make sense.

--- End quote ---

Exactly, If you don't "presoak' the rice hulls they'll soak up a sizable amount of wort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version