Author Topic: Cell-phone woes  (Read 4104 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Poca-hell-hole, Idaho
    • View Profile
Re: Cell-phone woes
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
LMAO!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Cell-phone woes
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
+1
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 06:56:46 AM »
Man I hope mine doesn't fail since I have unlimited data still.  I have the iPhone 4S.  If I have to get a new one, I'll need to sign up on the stupid new plans that Verizon Wireless has with the shared data.  Basically the same as I have now, but with a data limit and more money.  I wish I didn't rely on this thing so much becuase I'd tell them all to take a hike.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:24:12 AM »
My house house has 3 LG Env3 that are between 2 and 3 years old.  We've had a couple of bad batteries but other than that no issues.  I've had phones last 5 or 6 years and I abuse (physically) my phones pretty badly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
My cell phones last until I drop them in the toilet or throw them against a wall.  I changed to ATT last year so I would have international service, but not only have I not been able to make it work outside the US, it also has no reception in my office or at my house, the 2 places I spend 90% of my life.  ATT is willing to sell me  signal boosters for just $200 each but I may wait until Verizon moves in later this year.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Re: Re: Cell-phone woes
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »
Man I hope mine doesn't fail since I have unlimited data still.  I have the iPhone 4S.  If I have to get a new one, I'll need to sign up on the stupid new plans that Verizon Wireless has with the shared data.  Basically the same as I have now, but with a data limit and more money.  I wish I didn't rely on this thing so much becuase I'd tell them all to take a hike.

You sure about that? I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data as long as I don't change my plan. The wife and I upgraded to DROID Bionics last year with no issues.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Cell-phone woes
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »

You sure about that? I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data as long as I don't change my plan. The wife and I upgraded to DROID Bionics last year with no issues.

We got these iPhones last Christmas and kept our unlimited data.  It was my understanding that this changed shortly after that time.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club Member
https://www.facebook.com/SeacoastHomebrewClub
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------

Offline Delo

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 07:07:25 AM »
I thought so too.  I dont know how many more times I can drop mine before it breaks.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »
I switched up to a 4S and kept my unlimited data plan. 

Several months earlier they started throttling data when I exceed 3GB in one month on the unlimited plan.  Not that big a deal though.  I've just stopped watching streaming video via 4G.  When I watch streaming video now I connect via wireless.  Streaming audio is no problem.  Way less bandwidth needed.  Very seldom I listen to broadcast radio any more.  Streaming audio via 4G is even better than satellite radio. 

Although I still listen to live baseball games on AM broadcast.  But that's more of a MLB licensing thing than anything else.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »
I thought so too.  I dont know how many more times I can drop mine before it breaks.

If you upgrade to a new (subsidized by verizon) phone, then you have to switch to the new shared data plans. If you buy a phone at full price (currently an Iphone is over 700$) then you can keep the unlimited. This changed on June 28th 2012.-
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 06:20:21 AM »
i used an old nokia for about 5 years until the screen was so beat up it couldn't be seen. i still used it but it infuriated my wife who bought me an iphone 3g.  used that for past 3 years with no problems.
Don AHA member

Offline Delo

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 06:53:13 AM »
i used an old nokia for about 5 years until the screen was so beat up it couldn't be seen. i still used it but it infuriated my wife who bought me an iphone 3g.  used that for past 3 years with no problems.
I had an old Lg that was cracking in half and my wife harped on me about using it. I was just going to get another cell phone but she wanted a smart phone so of course if she was getting one, I was getting one. Now I cant live without it. I use it for everything.

If you upgrade to a new (subsidized by verizon) phone, then you have to switch to the new shared data plans. If you buy a phone at full price (currently an Iphone is over 700$) then you can keep the unlimited. This changed on June 28th 2012.-
Not surprised. I figured it was only a matter of time before they started doing that.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • On Beer
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
My complaint with phones (I have an old flip phone 5 yrs old...one generation past the "brick" phone) is that the battery life goes and then the reception diminishes....I can't take a call from inside my house anymore, and even out back it fails me.  My wife's Iphone 4s is 3 of 4 full bars at same location.  Time for an upgrade.

Oh, and texting inside the house is becoming verboten as well....man that reception has gone fast.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
My complaint with phones (I have an old flip phone 5 yrs old...one generation past the "brick" phone) is that the battery life goes and then the reception diminishes....I can't take a call from inside my house anymore, and even out back it fails me.  My wife's Iphone 4s is 3 of 4 full bars at same location.  Time for an upgrade.

Oh, and texting inside the house is becoming verboten as well....man that reception has gone fast.

If you are on Verizon, you can try updating your tower map.  Dial *228 and select option 2 from the menu.  Wireless carriers are constantly adding/deleting towers.  If you haven't updated your tower map your phone can struggle to find towers that will talk to it.

I don't guarantee it will help but it has made mine work better over the years.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

I have a theory on this. Your cell phone provider should be able to tell what device you are connecting to the network with. I believe, and I have no facts to back me up, that they set priority levels. If you have an older phone I think they set your phone at a lower priority than all others and when the towers are being used, you get the last amount of bandwidth which might be none.

I noticed this when I still had the original droid last year and I went to a football game at UofM and everyone around me had great signal on their new 4g phones but I had nothing. I couldn't even make a call or text. I got a new phone and what do you know, I can surf the internet and make calls. Just my two cents....
Mike --- Flint, Michigan