Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boulder again  (Read 3559 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Boulder again
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
So I was in Boulder last year and enjoyed avery very much.

I will probably check that out again but I would also like to check out new places that opened in the last year or so.

also any other absoluteley can't miss spots. I only have two nights but I could maybe manage 2-3 places
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
Re: Boulder again
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:58 pm »
I really enjoy Upslope.  Like Avery they typically have beers on tap that are not available outside the taproom which always include a couple of barrell aged beers which they do a great job on.  And their GABF gold medal winning pumpkin is out and on tap. Their tap room is North Boulder right where 28th and Broadway intersect.

I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:15:00 am »
There's a new place called West Flanders Brewing Company that just (like yesterday) opened in the old BJ's spot on Pearl St. The brewer has been around the 'hood for quite a while and does good work. They try to focus on beer and food pairings, it looks like. Check it out and report back. It sounds like a cool place (though I hate the name).

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:30 am »
That looks very nice indeed theoman. I think I will check that out.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
Report back! I'm curious to hear about it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:35:25 am »
reporting back.

West Flanders was nice. None of the beers blew me away but they were all (all that I tried) very good. My one major complaint was that they were all served way to cold. After they warmed a bit they were much nicer. I had a golden strong, ESB, Dubble, and weizen. The weizen was very subdued, not a lot of esters or phenols. The ESB was actually kind of nice. The belgian yeast character played well with what I would suspect were at least some fuggles and a sweet caramel note (Crystal malts for sure) that tied it together nicely. The golden strong was very drinkable at >9% and the dubble was quite sweet but still drinkable.

The food was good to. I had a greek pizza (no money and flaming bottles flying through the air  ;D) with feta and olives etc. and my co-worker had a pork chop with roasted root veggies that he said was good( it looked moist). They were out of wasabi deviled eggs  :'(.

But what blew me away was that with two entrees three 4 oz pours (they do 4 oz pours for 2 bucks) and a full 12 oz pour the bill came out to 35$.

overall I would not hesitate to recommend this place to a beer lover, a food lover, or someone who enjoys looking at pretty college kids getting toasty.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce