Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen Blueberries in Hefe  (Read 3780 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Frozen Blueberries in Hefe
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:18:53 am »
Just added 3lbs of frozen blueberries to the fermenter of a hefe that's fully attenuated.  Is there any problem with adding frozen blueberries without thawing them?  Are there any issues by adding frozen fruit to beer at all... infections, wild yeast???  Just wondering what to expect or not expect from adding the frozen blueberries.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Frozen Blueberries in Hefe
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:33:48 am »
What you did is the way I've done it...no problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:40:44 am »
Thanks Denny... I just got worried because this beer was one of 16 that we're going to be showcasing at our Fall Beer Festival here in Seoul, South Korea.  I want to help push the concept of American Craft Beer here in the land of bland lagers (OB (BO), Cass (ass), and Hite (s***e).  Have you ever had a Korean lager?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:42:50 am »
Thanks Denny... I just got worried because this beer was one of 16 that we're going to be showcasing at our Fall Beer Festival here in Seoul, South Korea.  I want to help push the concept of American Craft Beer here in the land of bland lagers (OB (BO), Cass (ass), and Hite (s***e).  Have you ever had a Korean lager?

Can't say that I've ever seen a Korean lager.

BTW, 3 lb. of blueberries in 5 gal. may be a little light.  You'll have to taste it to decide.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:52:54 am »
I don't know that I would add them without thawing them first, it might drop the temp of the beer a bit much.  If you want a secondary fermentation for the blueberries, dropping the temp may not be ideal.  It will probably be fine, I just would have thawed them first.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:53:14 am »
I don't know that I would add them without thawing them first, it might drop the temp of the beer a bit much.  If you want a secondary fermentation for the blueberries, dropping the temp may not be ideal.  It will probably be fine, I just would have thawed them first.

I agree.  I guess I just assumed that they'd be thawed before use.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:19 pm »
Is there any problem with adding frozen blueberries without thawing them?
;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:55 am »
;)

So what you're saying is that I should actually read the post I'm responding to?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:00 am »
;)

So what you're saying is that I should actually read the post I'm responding to?
What fun would that be? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:49 am »
;)

What fun would that be? :)

I disagree with tom, I think that green chilies taste toally different than pears... wait, what were we talking about?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce