Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison Dupont  (Read 5654 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Saison Dupont
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:08 am »
I have come to really love this beer.  There is one thing that I realized though.  Every time I have had it, there is a slight skunked/lightstruck character to it.  I actually find it pleasing in a way.  Is this part of the intended character of this beer?

Is there a draft version and thus a different tasting beer?  Or is it possible to get an unskunked bottle?

I find it strange that I enjoy it.  Almost maes me want to intentionally skunk a homebrewed version.

:o
Dave Brush

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Saison Dupont
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:52 am »
I recently tried this for the first time.
It was very skunked, I however did not enjoy it.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:40 am »
I had several un-skunked bottles of this in Belgium. It probably ships in a box so you may want to ask about getting an unopened box.

If you want the skunk flavor, get a Heineken  ;D
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:46 am »
I had several un-skunked bottles of this in Belgium. It probably ships in a box so you may want to ask about getting an unopened box.

If you want the skunk flavor, get a Heineken  ;D

I do not per se want the skunked flavor, it just does not seem to detract from this beer.  I believe there was even a hint if skunk in the Avec les bons Vœux.

I just questioned if it was intentional because I have had other beers imported from Belgium that were in green glass and they were not skunked.

I guess I will have to seek out an unskunked bottle to see how that is.  As it stands, there is a refreshing something about Dupont that stands out from other Saisons I have had (all American interpertations so far...) and i began wondering if this was the something.
Dave Brush

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:07:13 am »
As far as I'm concerned,skunk is not a desired part of the flavor profile and is really just a sign of mishandled green bottles.

If in the Kingdom, you have a good Belgian beer bar they should be able to get all of the Dupont products on draft with a little bit of work. The pub down the road from me currently has Dupont Saison Vielle Provision (aka Dupont 1), Moinette Blonde, Moinette Brune, Avec Les Bon Voeux, Foret and Biere de Miel all on draft. It helps that its his two week Belgian Beer Festival, but he typically has at least 2 of them on draft year round.

What makes Dupont stand out? In my mind it's the dryness they create in their beers mixed with that earthy spicy character. To my perception, most American Saison attempts end up still being too sweet in the finish and still want to nail them with a ton of spices. Dupont claims to use no spices, but I've heard rumors of beer writers finding a cabinet filled with coriander in the farmhouse.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:17:31 pm »
If in the Kingdom, you have a good Belgian beer bar they should be able to get all of the Dupont products on draft with a little bit of work.

HA!  In the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, not only do I not have access to a good Belgian  beer bar, I do not have access to a good any kind of bar, or even a bar for that matter!   ::)

I just finished some Hennepin (after some vielle provision Saison Dupont) and I find it to be just as dry and quenching.  I had not ever had them back to back before.  Pretty comparable minus the skunk.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:23:24 pm by enso »
Dave Brush

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »
I just finished some Hennepin (after some vielle provision Saison Dupont) and I find it to be just as dry and quenching.  I had not ever had them back to back before.  Pretty comparable minus the skunk.

Ahh, good ole Vermont. :)

And yeah, I think Hennepin is helped by being owned by Duvel Moorgat!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »
Ah!  Apparently I am not alone in this perception.  I just checked Farmhouse ales by Phil Markowski.  At the end of the description of Saison Veille Provision

"Tasting Notes:  A wonderful aroma full of tropical fruits, fresh sea air and earthy hops on a solid malt background; there is also a hint of cork and even light struck character (in this case not unpleasant).  Very well balanced with a fruity/spicy finish.  World class.

I would presume this is from a bottled version due to the cork character mentioned.

Dave Brush

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01:41 pm »
On my last trip to Belgium, we stopped at the Dupont brewery cafe; the best saison from them I've ever had.  It's still pretty fresh throughout Belgium but you can't beat it being made across the street.

I've had some good bottled versions in the Chicago area when they aren't exposed to light however the green bottles make bottle selection from the back of a shelf or an unopened box critical.

I have also seen draft Saison at the Map Room in Chicago (and I seem to recall Falling Rock in Denver).  Sometimes the kegged product is pretty darn good but I have been disappointed with it at other times.  YMMV.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:35:46 am »
Wow.  I was able to have Saison Dupont on draft last night.  COMPLETELY different beer than the bottled!  It was fantastic.  I don't know if  I will ever drink it from the bottle again!

Also had Houblon Chouffe on draft for the first time.  That was also a revelation.  Wish lived closer to the pub I had them at!
Dave Brush

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:49 am »
I have only had this beer in bottles and it has never been skunked or even slightly light struck.  I much prefer it to Hennepin.  It is very dry throughout and a very good thirst quencher.  Flavor is slightly spicy and phenolic.  I find Hennepin a little over the top as far as esters and phenolic flavors are concerned. 
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 06:44:58 pm »
Wow.  I was able to have Saison Dupont on draft last night.  COMPLETELY different beer than the bottled!  It was fantastic.  I don't know if  I will ever drink it from the bottle again!

Also had Houblon Chouffe on draft for the first time.  That was also a revelation.  Wish lived closer to the pub I had them at!

Where did you get those on draft in VT??  I just bought a bottle of the Saison Dupont.  I'm drinking it right now and it is skunked  >:(  I would love to taste the un-skunked variety.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 09:52:32 am »
I had a 750mL bottle of this very fine beer last night and it was most excellent. A fruity and spicy aroma with moderate body and the flavor that was right in line being tropical fruit and earthy siced hops lingering to a nice dry finish. I am very impressed with this fine example of Saison. I highly recommend this beer.
Ron Price

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 10:03:20 am »

Where did you get those on draft in VT??  I just bought a bottle of the Saison Dupont.  I'm drinking it right now and it is skunked  >:(  I would love to taste the un-skunked variety.

3 penny tap room in Montpelier.  Not sure if they always have it on draft.  It seems they rotate beers.  I believe they have current offerings on their website.
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 12:29:57 pm »
Man I haven't had one of these in a long time. However, there are no memories of any skunkiness - not even a hint. I suspect the bottles were being mishandled. Very easy to do in the store.

Anytime I buy beer in a green bottle I reach way in the back to get one.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis