Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Innkeeper Ale at 2 weeks  (Read 3464 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Innkeeper Ale at 2 weeks
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »
It says ferment 2 weeks, bottle, let carbonate 2 weeks.

I racked over and my hydro sample was opaque, but lighter than it went in... light amber (the hydro tube was brown when I first sampled).  1.038 (target was 1.043) to 1.007, not bad.

Cloudy as hell.

So I'm adding a secondary stage.  And ... the airlock is bubbling every 15-20 seconds.  This beer is STILL fermenting!  I guess that explains why it's cloudy.

Guess it needs another week, another rack, another sample.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Innkeeper Ale at 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:40:27 am »
It's probably just outgassing CO2 from the transfer.  Don't rack it again, just give it a couple of days and take another gravity reading.  If it doesn't change, it's done.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:59:19 am »
It's probably just outgassing CO2 from the transfer.  Don't rack it again, just give it a couple of days and take another gravity reading.  If it doesn't change, it's done.

Nod.  It also suddenly occurs to me that I didn't use any yeast nutrient (forgot that was a thing), so my yeast may be slow.  (I also dry pitch, but in the future I'm going to acquire a stir plate and do starters)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:45:44 am »
Yeast nutrient probably helps, but it's not a deal breaker if you forget it.

If you're using dry yeast, which it appears you are, don't make starters.  See www.mrmalty.com for details.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
Yeast nutrient probably helps, but it's not a deal breaker if you forget it.

If you're using dry yeast, which it appears you are, don't make starters.  See www.mrmalty.com for details.

Good to know.

I usually don't even rehydrate the yeast, just dump the dry packet into the fermenter.  It's always worked for me, but fermentation starts visibly quicker with a few minutes of rehydration.

The site says that dry yeast starters "deplete the reserves that manufacturers work so hard to build into their product," which is a ridiculous and vague statement (yeast manufacturers don't build yeast, they breed it; dry yeast should be yeast, not Col. Saunders' 11 herbs and spices; I can add my own nutrient; etc).  On the flip side, there was a thread here about using washed yeast (a process I don't understand), claiming that the second or third generation seems to produce better beer--with a small packet of yeast raised to a starter, that's by definition the second or third generation at least....