Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 1848 times)

Offline j.petykowski

• 1st Kit
    • Aspiring Homebrewer tumblr.
Just wondering
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »
Alright,
So I decided to brew my second batch and had a few complications along the way.  I'm using a 8 gallon brew pot and filled it up to the 5 gallon mark(figuring after adding LME, hops, etc. a little would boil out, enough to come to 5 gallons in the end).  Well, my wort chiller connection broke and after I finally figure out that I only had about a pound of ice, I ran to the store to get some more. After an hour and a half of my beer sitting around (including time chilling in a sink of ice and water), there was about 4 1/2 gallons of the chilled wort, about 70 degrees F. I added a little bit of cold water, and I then proceeded to take the OG. 1.032. About .012 from what I was shooting for.
Just wondering if possibly, after adding the extra water to the wort in the fermentor, if the OG could be off because I pulled from the watered down wort? I'm going to try and ferment at around 68 degrees in a bin of water, that I will be doing the old "frozen water bottle switch-aroo."
Thanks, I would greatly appreciate advice on bettering my homebrewing.   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:12:02 pm by j.petykowski »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:09:26 am »
Most likely the added water did not mix in well so your gravity reading was low.  When you brew with extract all of the sugar ends up in the fermenter unless you leave some out (for example through kettle losses).  So your predicted (calculated) OG will be accurate enough.  Don't worry about it.
Tom Schmidlin