So what does that make you, a pharmaceuticist?
That is one of the many things I've been called....
Life is full of risks. I'm convinced that this risk is less than many, and less risky than eating fruit sprayed with pesticide. But do what works for you, no problem.
All of this had made up my mind that I will cut back or eliminate my use of Fermcap. I made beer without it for years and even though it may not be immediately fatal, I have enough health problems already that I don't see the need to be potentially adding any more.
+1 Why take a chance?
I will echo Tom and say, yes, of course, if you don't feel comfortable using the product then certainly don't use it. Your health will not be adversely affected by NOT using it. But unless you have an allergic reaction to Fermcap, based on what I've been reading, the risk of developing any health issues when using it as instructed is very very very low. I'd agree that your risk of problems from pesticides or E Coli contamination on produce is magnitudes greater.
Again, I am not trying to change any minds; don't use it if it makes you uncomfortable. But if you are on the fence about it, let me summarize why I conclude it is perfectly safe to use.
It is present in many other foods we commonly eat, and although the FDA has set a limit on its presence to 10ppm that doesn't mean that at 11ppm you are going to be getting sick. For food additives they do their best to make sure there is a wide gap between safe and problem levels. This is seen in the MSDS data showing the acute lethal dose to be undetermined, again more than 5g/kg of this is a LOT.
From my calculations, it seems that at the recommended usage, the highest amount of DMPS that could potentially be present in finished beer is below the FDA level. But as some have suggested it may bind to yeast and drop out, lowering the concentration even further.
Also, DMPS is basically the same active ingredient in Gas-X type drugs, which are evaluated by the FDA. Everything I've read regarding those indicates that there is little risk of problems in the event of an overdose, the biggest risk being an allergic reaction to inactive ingredients. Further, there are no reports of any side effects I could find.
Of course there is always the concern of toxicity from chronic use, but for DMPS there appears to be little chance for that as it is essentially unabsorbed into the body. So I think it is perfectly safe to use for me, I am probably doing more damage drinking the alcohol in the beer compared to the Fermcap.