Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Hottest Chile...Carolina Reaper?  (Read 23594 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: New Hottest Chile...Carolina Reaper?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:33:28 am »
Seeding the Habaneros does cut the heat by quite a bit while retaining that great tropical flavor (you can use more that way).  Still can make your lips numb though. 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 07:20:41 am »
Im a fan of habaneros too.  I also like to use scotch bonnets.  I like that they are sweeter than habaneros but still hot. I like to use them especially when making Jamaican beef patties or other Caribbean foods.
Mark

Offline wzl46

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 11:16:46 am »
I have a few Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plants that I started way too late in the season- mid June.  I'll be moving them inside to keep them alive and ready for next year's growing season, which starts about mid April here in southern Alabama. 
A chili pod eating competition among drunken friends will most likely take place next year if anybody's interested.
Yeast infections are only bad when they don't happen to wort.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »
A chili pod eating competition among drunken friends will most likely take place next year if anybody's interested.
Interested in seeing the video, not in participating.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 06:24:09 am »
I like habaneros myself, but even they are so potent that it's not worth my while to grow them. I just can't effectively use the full yield from a plant of them. Serranos are typically my go-to heat source.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:03 am »
I like habaneros myself, but even they are so potent that it's not worth my while to grow them. I just can't effectively use the full yield from a plant of them. Serranos are typically my go-to heat source.

You can freeze them whole for later use.  I've got a 5 year old bag of habs in the freezer that are still great for cooking or salsa.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 03:12:29 am »
I made the following seed order today through pepperjoes.com and pepperlover.com.  I may have to host a local chile eating challenge next Summer.  Might need some waivers written up. ;D 

HP22B (Carolina Reaper)
Trinidad Douglah
Habanero Chocolate
Orange Rocoto
Giant Jalapeno
Piquin
Cherry Hots

http://pepperlover.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Trinidad_Douglah_50304b9b09a6d.jpg

Trinidad Douglah
Unbearable pain caused by the highest concentration of capsicum oil in any pepper ever. This pepper is not to be eaten plain by humans due to the severe pain inseparable to its location in our body. Even if you sallow the pod the pain will move along with it all the way down to your stomach and pass that too. According to many chili heads this is- with no doubt -way hotter than the World Hottest pepper the Bhut Jolokia , between this one and the Trinidad scorpion Butch chili heads cant decide which one is worse and more dangerous to eat , we found the Douglah is hotter due to the higher concentration of the capsicum oil and thinner skin. What is really good about this pepper is the smokey flavor that can be found in fresh pods as well as in powders

Trinidad Douglah is mistakenly named as Trinidad 7pod brown , they are two different varieties Trinidad Douglah is smaller in size, thinner skin, more bumpy rough skin, and absolutely hotter while the Trinidad 7pod brown bigger in pod size, skin more smooth glossy . You have been warned not to get close to this killer if you still think you can handle it be very careful and don’t try to play tricks with friends using this pepper because you could seriously hurt someone

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:05 am »
Call me crazy, but a pepper that comes with a warning just doesn't appeal to me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:46 pm »
Where's your sense of adventure?  ;D. That Douglah picture looked mild enough, no? 

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »
after watching some youtube videos, i still don't understand why people eat these peppers.  do they get you 'high' so to speak?
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »
Where's your sense of adventure?  ;D. That Douglah picture looked mild enough, no?

After spending yet another sleepless night due to heartburn, I'm thinking of retiring my sense of adventure.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 01:27:55 pm »
after watching some youtube videos, i still don't understand why people eat these peppers.  do they get you 'high' so to speak?

Absolutely, some are addicted to the endorphin rush.  Hell of a price to pay though.  Some, I suspect, do it simply for attention.  Some view themselves as chile "reviewers", responding to a very miniscule group of "chile heads" who actually care.  Some are just kids who took a dare, others, masochists.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »
I'm really looking forward to using a few of these chile varieties.  If you've ever had La Cholula hot sauce (it has the spherical, wooden top), then you've had a piquin pepper hot sauce.  I think I'll try my hand at producing a Mexican hot sauce with this chile.  The Orange Rocoto has my interest, too, based on this description:
 Another big size Rocoto and plant, not as hot as the red variety but still quit hot, can also be used home made sauces; this pepper tastes and smells like melons. Very interesting variety to use fresh in salsas as well. 

I plan on pickling the Cherry Hots as well as some of the Giant Jalapenos.  Anyone familiar with barbecue can see the attraction in these Giant Jalapenos...ABTs, i.e., stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon.  The first two, I'm not sure about...perhaps drying and grinding the Habs into a powder...The Carolina Reaper?  I saw Pepper Joe put a few slices on a bruschetta with cheese, tomato, onion, and garlic.  He didn't look like he was suffering too badly.  Plus, it apparently is quite tasty and sweet.  So, I'm game there.  Another new hobby I'm looking forward to.

HP22B (Carolina Reaper)
Trinidad Douglah
Habanero Chocolate
Orange Rocoto
Giant Jalapeno
Piquin
Cherry Hots

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 07:08:38 pm »
i love La Cholula.  the only one i use really.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 08:05:39 am »
My neighbor gave me a couple of ghost peppers from one of his plants.  I chopped them up and infused them into about 10 oz. of white vinegar.  I did eat a couple of strips from them and they are quite hot.  The heat spreads from your mouth to your whole body, not all that unpleasant, but I wouldn't chow down on a whole pod, that would be foolish. 8)  I ate a habanero for comparison afterword, it didn't even seem hot.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim