Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'd like to make a Stroch Stottish Ale for winter, need some help.  (Read 3747 times)

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
So I really haven't settled on a recipe yet, I've just started thinking about this one but I've never done anything similar. I've also never done a big beer before.

So my first question is how much smoked malt should I use? I've never used it before but I figured 5% would be safe. I don't want it to be too peated like an Islay but a bit smoother.

Second was it says it should be a bit caramelized so I was thinking about doing a 2hr boil but I'm not sure if that is long enough.

Last, I've never done a beer higher that 1.065 so I was thinking of making a large starter, a lot of oxygenation, double the yeast nutrient, and then maybe after the first 4 or 5 days or so more oxygenation unless you think this is unnecessary.

I was thinking of aging this in my better bottle until maybe november, I think the plastic will be ok for a couple months, but if you think glass is necessary I could be persuaded.

Thanks a lot, you guys are really helpful!

EDIT: Here is the first draft of the recipe http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/its-not-a-dress-its-a-kilt
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:19:32 am by rjparjay »

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: I'd like to make a Stroch Stottish Ale for winter, need some help.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:00 pm »
http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html

This is your friend, read it, follow it, love it.

It has all your answers. No smoked malt. Definitely no peat malt, unless you want to see Tom cry.

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »
That's a great link! I was under the impression the peat/smoke came from smoked malt but it looks like it comes from the yeast. It's such a simple malt bill too, thanks a lot!

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »
That's a great link! I was under the impression the peat/smoke came from smoked malt but it looks like it comes from the yeast. It's such a simple malt bill too, thanks a lot!

Some commercial Scotch ales (mostly US I think) do include some smoked malt, Great Divide's Claymore comes to mind. But in my opinion the best ones, Orkney Skull Splitter and Traquair House ale, don't. It really just depends on what you have in mind.

One more tip, really keep an eye on fermentation temp. The recipe on the link looks good, but even 70F might be a little too high. Ideally you should ferment below 65F, I learned that the hard way...

Offline rjparjay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
One more tip, really keep an eye on fermentation temp. The recipe on the link looks good, but even 70F might be a little too high. Ideally you should ferment below 65F, I learned that the hard way...

I was thinking about fermenting at 60. I've heard that when doing a big beer (I'm shooting for 10%), that your efficiecny can take a hit. I normally get 75%, should I aim for about 65%?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:24 pm »
Experience will tell you, but I would plan on 70% efficiency.  If you get your normal 75% no big deal, and if it is 65% or lower you can bump it up with some DME.

Good idea to leave out the peated malt. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:10 am »
Oh, and aereation after 4 or 5 days is a bad idea.  Just pitch enough yeast and you will be fine.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:08 am »
If you really felt it was neccessary, MAYBE aerate again after one day. You want good yeast growth in the beginning. After 4/5 days most fermentation should be over if you pitch enough healthy yeast and you'll be risking oxidation.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:40 am »

That may be one of the best homebrew recipes ever devised.  Brew it and don't change a thing....well, I added chanterelle mushrooms to it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:41 am »

I was thinking about fermenting at 60. I've heard that when doing a big beer (I'm shooting for 10%), that your efficiecny can take a hit. I normally get 75%, should I aim for about 65%?

I ferment it at about 52F and cold condition for a couple months when it's done. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:10 am »
Oh, and aereation after 4 or 5 days is a bad idea.  Just pitch enough yeast and you will be fine.

THIS^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

It has all your answers. No smoked malt. Definitely no peat malt, unless you want to see Tom cry.

Wow. What a beautifully simple recipe. I'll have to brew it some day, even if it's for no other reason than the recipe being so elegant.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:06 am »

Wow. What a beautifully simple recipe. I'll have to brew it some day, even if it's for no other reason than the recipe being so elegant.

Elegant and freakin' delicious!  Scott's experience and love of beer really come through in that recipe.

www.dennybrew.com