Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian corks  (Read 2496 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Belgian corks
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »
So I just spent a large chunk of time corking up some beer in some nice Belgian bottles + wire cappers.  I know with aging the corks can dry out but in what timeline does this become a concern?  The bottles will need to carbonate for 10 days or so.  When do they need to be laid on their side to keep corks moist and sealed?  I don't want to increase the headspace and risk oxidation by laying them on their side right now.  Any suggestions?

narvin

Re: Belgian corks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »
Belgian corks don't dry out like natural wine corks.  I've never had to lay Belgian bottles on their sides except for one time when I got some crappy off brand ones.

If the corks say "REF"on the side, they're the real deal.  Most Belgian breweries don't lay their bottles down either (an  exception is Saison Dupont;  you can see the yeast sediment on the side of the bottle).

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Belgian corks
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
Laying a bottle on its side doesn't increase the amount of oxygen already in the bottle. IMO, there is no increased risk of oxidation. And I never lay the bottles on their sides, anyway, except for meads, which I have conditioned for a year...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.