Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: star san and pbw question  (Read 11014 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
star san and pbw question
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:02:42 pm »
So I just upgraded my cleaning/sanitizing equipment". My question do I rinse bottles with tap water after using the star san?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: star san and pbw question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »
no, do not rinse.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:43 pm »
Do not rinse after star san, don't fear the foam!

And as long as the surface is wet, the star san is still keeping the equipment sanitized.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:12:47 pm »
PBW- yes, rinse thoroughly
Star-san- no, it's tricky to let go of your fear of the foam but you must be strong.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:04 pm »
Don't Fear The Foam!!!! ;D
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:16 pm »

And as long as the surface is wet, the star san is still keeping the equipment sanitized.

I know not to fear the foam, but I always wonder.  How much foam is OK?  Is there a point where I should begin to fear it?

When I empty a carboy, I can wind up with LOTS of foam left inside.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:58 pm »

I know not to fear the foam, but I always wonder.  How much foam is OK?  Is there a point where I should begin to fear it?

I like to empty the carboy initially, then put the stopper in and leave it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Most of the foam will turn back into liquid and can then be dumped before filling.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »
Try this little experiment sometime.  Put some StarSan in a bucket and whip it around such that you generate a cr@pton of foam.  Then open the bucket reach in and pull out the biggest handfull you can and bring your hands together.  Observe how quickly the foam dissipates to non-detectability.  That's what convinced me that as long as you don't have standing fluid you're good to go.  During a transfer having some foam in a carboy for example is helpful to keep oxygen from entering the head space.
DFTF. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »

I like to empty the carboy initially, then put the stopper in and leave it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Most of the foam will turn back into liquid and can then be dumped before filling.

+1 if you are worried about it.
Dave Zach

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »
I like to add about 1 gallon of starsan into the carboy and then just lay the carboy on its side.  I will turn the carboy every so often to make sure that the entire inside of the carboy gets contact time w/ the starsan.  Then when I need to use the carboy, I turn the carboy upside down to empty the starsan.  This way the carboy is sanitized and there's very little foam.  Before doing this, I would shake up the carboy causing a ton of foam.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:15 pm »
Ok so don't rinse the star san,  and rinse the PBW
second question- with a bottle drain tree and bottle washing attachment do i first use the PBW, then run tap water, then run the star san?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 04:07:40 pm »
Ok so don't rinse the star san,  and rinse the PBW
second question- with a bottle drain tree and bottle washing attachment do i first use the PBW, then run tap water, then run the star san?

It depends.  If you are starting with clean bottles, just rinse with Star-San.  If you still need to get the gunk out, then PBW, rinse and then run the Star-San through.  I put my empties away clean so I don't have to work so hard on bottling day. :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »
i believe most are empty of gunk, so i ill just go with the Star San, thanks for all the input

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »
Clean first, then sanitize.
Rinsing is not cleaning.
Brew on

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 06:13:00 am »

For a carboy, I try to get most of it out but don't worry if there is some still in there.  The guy from Five Star said the foam actually breaks down and is beneficial to the yeast.  For bottling, I let the drain on the tree but again don't worry if there is a lot of foam.

When I keg, it's actually fun to watch the huge foam snake come out of the top as I fill.   ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------