Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxygenation v.s. aeration  (Read 3565 times)

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
oxygenation v.s. aeration
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »
Hi everyone:

I'm considering upgrading from the "splash and stir" method of getting a little oxygen into my cooled wort before pitching yeast and I wondered what this group thought about the merits of oxygenation (i.e. pure oxygen from a tank) v.s. aeration (air pumped with an aquarium pump). 

My current, low tech method (splash and stir) is producing what I consider good beer.  But there's always room for improvement!

Clearly oxygenation would be quicker and provide more oxygen.  But it's going to cost more and require trips to a supplier (for refilled tanks of oxygen).  What are you folks doing?   

Thanks in advance!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: oxygenation v.s. aeration
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:06:00 pm »
I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but it seems like my MixStir aerates my beers as well as my friends who use O2.  At least the results are pretty much comparable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:11:41 pm »
By "MixStir" you mean the same thing as I do when I refer to "splash and stir," right?  I just ask because there are lot's of techniques and equipments that I haven't heard of...

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »
I think mix stir gives more O2 than the slash and stir. Certainly depends on how much you splash and stir.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:38:41 pm »
A MixStir is a long rod with paddles on the end.  You attach it to a drill and put the paddle end in the wort.  when you run the drill, it spins around and aerates the wort.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »
Neat, how long does it take to properly aerate the wort using a mixster?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:22 pm »
Neat, how long does it take to properly aerate the wort using a mixster?

5 minutes or so is how long I go with it. till there is lots of foam on top.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »
Ditto, shaking the bejeebus out of it for 5 minutes is adequate.  I oxygenate in-line after the chiller on the way to the fermenter.  No shaking necessary.

YMMV
Brew on

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »
I got an oxygen stone that feeds from a small tank from Lowes and Home Depot - the whole setup when you factor in the tank will cost you between $40 and $60.  It's pretty nice, but you need to be careful that you don't add too much O2.  To be truthful...once my last tank ran out, I have not used the O2 stone for about a year...but they are really convenient, esp. for big beers.

I think 30 seconds on a normal beer, and a minute on a big beer will give you the results you need without over-oxygenating.
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:53:53 am »
Hey, thanks folks!  I did not know the name "MixStir," but I'm definately familiar with those things.  (I've used them with paint.)  I'm going to pick up a clean one and give it a try.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:36:55 am »
Hey, thanks folks!  I did not know the name "MixStir," but I'm definately familiar with those things.  (I've used them with paint.)  I'm going to pick up a clean one and give it a try.

I think it's the way to go unless you are making big beers. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 06:20:30 am »
I've done both and I like the stone with pure O2 ( red tank from HD ).  Quick (30-45 seconds) and doesn't create a ton of foam like the mix-stir can. 

Thankfully I've started doing mead so having the mix-stir is handy for that and I don't feel like I wasted money by not using it from brewing anymore.

Edit:  I got the stone on a steel rod from Williams Brewing which is nice because I can place the stone where ever I want in the bottom of the carboy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:22:23 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------