General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Open air fermentation

<< < (5/5)

--- Quote from: gsandel on February 11, 2013, 11:51:05 AM ---Thanks for the info on the filter.  I liked the idea of it because it also has optional 0.2 and 0.3mm stanless steel filter screens that can get even smaller particles.... for whichever application you need (wort transfer) or beer transfer, short of actually filtering your beer.

It is in my wish list.

--- End quote ---
You can see it in action and also the size of the filter here:

--- Quote from: blatz on February 11, 2013, 12:09:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on February 11, 2013, 09:15:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: hubie on February 11, 2013, 09:13:17 AM ---If you're not going for wild yeast fermentation, what is the advantage for open fermentation besides maybe top-cropping yeast?

--- End quote ---

Supposedly it effects the flavor of the beer.  I've tried it a couple times, but didn't really notice any difference, but YMMV.

--- End quote ---

I think it may have a more noticeable affect when fermenting on a commercial level.  Purportedly Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss is dramatically different open fermented versus in a conical.  I don't know how much different it would be at our size fermentations since we really don't build up *that* much pressure.

--- End quote ---

Speaking of Kellerweiss....

Brewing TV episodes 4 & 6 had some fairly good info on open fermentation. That spurred me to try it.

I seem to remember Jamil talking about "corners" in fermenters- saying that they create dead-spots where the fermenting beer doesn't circulate well.

Regardless, I think a brewer could do well with that type of fermenter. Awesome. And it looks set up for some special connects as well.

I practice open fermentation in that the lid of the bucket is never snapped down unless to move it and there are no air-locks in my brewery. Beer is fine.

Corners are also the antichrist in sanitary equipment. You just need to be careful that you've got soft, rounded internal edges rather than a 90 degree point. I think the Rubbermaid has that all around.

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version