Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much Calcium Chloride addition. Will it be drinkable?  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Hoppy HB

• 1st Kit
Too much Calcium Chloride addition. Will it be drinkable?
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:12:24 pm »
I just realized I added way too much Calcium Chloride to my 10 gallon mash. Not sure what I was thinking (probably drinking) at the time but I added 1 tsp per gallon. According to Bru'n water calculator my calcium should now be 270 ppm and chloride is 456 ppm. Whoops. I brewed this on Sunday and fermination was very active all day monday. It is an american wheat. What is this likely to turn out like?

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Too much Calcium Chloride addition. Will it be drinkable?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
it may turn out salty. Nothing you can do now.

Kai

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:29:45 am »
You could brew again and blend it, but I would taste it first and see how offensive it is.  And probably don't enter it in any competitions. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hoppy HB

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »
It sounds like I need to plan another brewing session. I will rack to the secondary this coming Monday and should be able to tell.

I promise not to subject any judges to this batch.

Offline Hoppy HB

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
A sample taken between primary and secondary tasted like yeasty sea water. Well now I know to measure out additions prior to brewing. This was the first batch I tried to brew using adjusted tap water instead of store bought spring water. It is also the first batch I have had to pour down the drain. Time to turn up the burners and try again.