Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Do you prime (naturally carbonate) your kegs?

Never
23 (74.2%)
Sometimes
6 (19.4%)
Always
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 05:17:47 pm

Author Topic: Do You Prime Your Kegs?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Re: Do You Prime Your Kegs?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:31:07 pm »
I've done it a few times with Hefeweizen since it's a style that's expected to be cloudy.  For other beers, I force carbonate.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »
No.  I started kegging because it was easier and quicker than bottling.  This would be like taking a half step back.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:22:22 pm »
I brew in bursts. One month I will brew five batches, then I will brew nothing for the next month or two. And my gf and I don't drink enough to finish the kegs in time for the beer. So I frequently prime my kegs in order to save CO2 (well, in order to save a trip to LHBS to refill my tank). I have been shocked at how long a small amount of CO2 lasts when I have pre-carbonated kegs. I have wondered if I over-carbonate, and reduce the pressure, will the CO2 move from my keg into my gas tank? Mostly I am just curious how many of you prime your kegs, and if there is any good reason not to.

I have taken on this habit. More of a convenience issue. No shaking of kegs or repeated pressure-ups to bring to to proper volumes. Use 3 oz sugar per keg and it's perfectly and easily carbonated. And a blast of CO2 seals the lid of the corny right off the bat.

I do it because the kegs will sit for another 3 weeks or so before they find their way into the kegerator and quite simple to do. Haven't really noticed any clarity or sediment issues at all.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis