Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Hospitality suite & Club Night -- How much beer????  (Read 6604 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
NHC Hospitality suite & Club Night -- How much beer????
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:26:00 am »
I wondering if clubs that were participating at this year's NHC and provided beer could share how much beer they went though at club night, hospitality suite, etc.

How many taps did your club have at club night?
How much beer did your club go through?

How many taps did your club have at the hospitality suite?
How many hours did your club host the hospitality suite for?
How much beer did your club go through?

Any other beer needs?  How about for tasting during a presentation?  How much?

I had heard to shoot for 250 gallons and that seemed very prohibitive for a small club.

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: NHC Hospitality suite & Club Night -- How much beer????
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »
There are 8 members in my club (Homebrewers Guild of Seattle Proper), and we put together the following information that you might find helpful:

HOW OUR KEGS POURED:

Hospitality Shift 1 (After Pro Brewers Night)
Brought 12
Empty/Mostly Empty 5
Less than Half Brought Home 5
More than Half Brought Home 2

Hospitality Shift 2 (Before Club Night)
Brought 13
Empty/Mostly Empty 2
Less than Half Brought Home 4
More than Half Brought Home 7

Club Night
Brought 20
Empty/Mostly Empty 5
Less than Half Brought Home 10
More than Half Brought Home 5

Totals:
Brought 45
Empty/Mostly Empty 12
Less than Half Brought Home 19
More than Half Brought Home 14

While 45 kegs seems like a lot for a small club, we actually had a list of over 65 beers to choose from so we didn't feel compelled to bring anything that we didn't think would represent us well.  Also, our planning for NHC started as soon as we heard it was coming to the Seattle area, so some of those beers were in the works for many months and the work was spread out over a longer period.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:20:11 am »
It is not mandatory to participate in the hospitlaity suite.  In Seattle we had multiple options for a shift there, with people getting 6 or 12 taps depending on how much beer they had.

For club night I poured my beer with my 4-person club, we had 9 taps, kicked a keg of mead and had a few kegs that were mostly empty.  You don't need to put 50 beers on tap, although if you can that would be cool.

Bring what you can, show up and represent.  You won't regret it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:14:07 am »
Thanks for the feedback.....so not as daunting as the need for 100-200 gallons of brew.   So we'll likely focus on club night only with 5-10 taps.  Goal will be to run out vs take back any beer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:13 pm »
So we'll likely focus on club night only with 5-10 taps.  Goal will be to run out vs take back any beer.
So your focus will be on bringing awesome and intersting beers. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:53:27 am »
Getting excited about this event.  We have a couple club members that will help out on club night, but are unable to attend the full conference.  Do all club night volunteers need to be paid conference attendees if they will only be at club night?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:21 pm »
Getting excited about this event.  We have a couple club members that will help out on club night, but are unable to attend the full conference.  Do all club night volunteers need to be paid conference attendees if they will only be at club night?
Pretty sure they'd need to pay since they'll have access to all the club night booths. There is a social's only option registration option (at least there was last year). I don't know what the cost is, but that should be coming out soon.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »
Everyone who attends Club Night will have to buy a ticket.  The "social" ticket includes everything except the seminars.  You'll also have the option to buy your ticket (either full conference or social ticket) with or without the awards banquet.

They used to sell individual (ala carte) event tickets, but only if the entire event did not sell out.  I don't remember seeing ala carte event sales for a few years.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:23 pm »
They used to sell individual (ala carte) event tickets, but only if the entire event did not sell out.  I don't remember seeing ala carte event sales for a few years.

I remember talking to a guy at City Beer who had a club night only ticket, then saw him and chatted at club night, Oakland NHC 2009. Have not seen that since as I recall. I think this year will sell out very quickly with the East Coast pent up demand.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:03:47 pm »
Tom, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that last year (2012) because of how fast tickets sold out, and how few locals were able to get tickets, the AHA gave the local organizing committee some Club Night only passes. I wouldn't count on it happening again, but the tickets are going to go fast for sure, and it might be a possibility.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:39 pm »
I was able to get a club night only ticket last year.  I had a situation where I had to sell my full ticket and only at the last minute found out I was able to go out for club night.

I'm sure this year will sell out but I can't imagine it will be as quick.  I thought I heard there are going to be something like 500 extra tickets available.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:01 pm »
It will be as quick or quicker, as the NHC has not been on the east coast for a while and there are more people in driving distance.

If it takes longer I will buy you a beer during club night. ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:14 pm »
It will be as quick or quicker, as the NHC has not been on the east coast for a while and there are more people in driving distance.

If it takes longer I will buy you a beer during club night. ;)

Sounds like a plan :)  Regardless I'll try to catch up with you there or next time I'm back in Michigan. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:45 pm »
Tom, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that last year (2012) because of how fast tickets sold out, and how few locals were able to get tickets, the AHA gave the local organizing committee some Club Night only passes. I wouldn't count on it happening again, but the tickets are going to go fast for sure, and it might be a possibility.
Not exactly.  But on pro night there are fewer spots available for attendees due to fire code restrictions and the presence of the pro brewers.  That means the AHA couldn't sell as many full social packages as there were spots available for club night.  These were made available, but obviously it is more enticing for a local brewer than for someone who would have to travel.  There may have initially been some preference for locals to make sure clubs who got shut out could have a presence if they wanted to, but in the end everyone who wanted a club night only ticket got one IIRC.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:06 pm »
Not exactly.  But on pro night there are fewer spots available for attendees due to fire code restrictions and the presence of the pro brewers.  That means the AHA couldn't sell as many full social packages as there were spots available for club night.  These were made available, but obviously it is more enticing for a local brewer than for someone who would have to travel.  There may have initially been some preference for locals to make sure clubs who got shut out could have a presence if they wanted to, but in the end everyone who wanted a club night only ticket got one IIRC.

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I was at the end of the “telephone” chain, so I kind of guessed I was off by a bit. Again, I wouldn't count on those tickets being made available, and I agree with Jeff, that I believe it will sell out as fast or faster than last year. With the growth of the AHA, and homebrewing in general, it's a big event, and very fun. I know my wife and I will be there. Looking forward to seeing some of you that I met this past NHC again, and meeting more people from the forum.

Speaking of which, Ron, is there any plan from the local organizers for some sort of forum identifier? Or are we on our own again this year? Either way, we should try to make a more identifiable marker for ourselves this year.