Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumkin Ale with a kick  (Read 2126 times)

Offline LouBru

• 1st Kit
Pumkin Ale with a kick
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
Hello all,
So, I brewed a basic smashing pumkim from northern.  I added some extra nutmeg and allspice to kick up the flavor a bit.  I tested gravity and checked rase and ABV is at 5.5 but taste is a little bland.  needs more sweetness to it.  I did not add any actual pumkin or pie mix, just the Spices at 0 min of boil.

Is it possible to make a small .5 gallon totty of water/Rum/Brown sugar or molasses and boil, cool and add to secondary?  I am going to bottle next week.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Primary- SS minow brown
Secondary- Drumpkin dark rum pumpkin ale.
Secondary- Brugse Tripel
Keg Holiday spiced Red
Bottle- Drumpkin / Dude RyePa / Oakwood bourbon porter/ Dark Cherry Van bourbon porter

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Pumkin Ale with a kick
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »
None of those ideas will make it any sweeter, it will just boost the gravity/ABV.  Maybe boil up some maltodextrin and add it to increase mouthfeel, but that won't make it any sweeter?  I suppose adding lactose would make it sweeter.  But, if it were me, I would just leave it alone, but then again, I haven't tasted the beer.

You could make a tincture of the same ratio of spices in vodka and dose it to taste if you need an extra spice kick.