Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar  (Read 15250 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »
I need to bottle a couple of Belgian-style beers and I ran out of corn sugar. What are your thoughts on just using table sugar (from beets) instead? Should I use the same amount as I would corn sugar?

Thanks
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »
go for it. for all intents and purposes there is no difference at all. There is a table somewhere out there, maybe morebeer website? that lists lots of different kinds of sugar and the exact amount to use for carbing but I always just follow the corn sugar weight guidelines and have not had problems.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »
i have been bottling with powdered sugar.  just to use up a few pounds we had on hand.  i have had no problems with this at all.
Don AHA member

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:19:45 pm »
Corn sugar is very slightly less fermentable than table sugar (like maybe 5% less). I use cane sugar all the time to bottle beer, no problems. I used about 3/4lb of turbinado for 5 gallons of a champagne-style beer, and it worked fine.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:40:27 pm »
i have been bottling with powdered sugar.  just to use up a few pounds we had on hand.  i have had no problems with this at all.

I'd just watch out because some powdered sugar contains corn starch as an anti-caking agent, so make sure the only ingredient is sugar. A bag labeled "Superfine" or "caster" sugar should be 100% sugar.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »
Cane sugar is a little more fermentable than corn sugar.

Check out this carbonation calculator:  http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?15132099#tag

Cheers, Tom
Brew on

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:37:23 am »
Corn sugar is very slightly less fermentable than table sugar (like maybe 5% less). I use cane sugar all the time to bottle beer, no problems. I used about 3/4lb of turbinado for 5 gallons of a champagne-style beer, and it worked fine.

Really? I've never heard that - what is the reason?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »
Thanks for the calculator. That will come in handy  :)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:00:41 pm »

Not to split hairs here, but don't you mean 3/4 CUP of sugar?   3/4 pound in a 5 gallon batch would produce TREMENDOUS carbonation levels, and I suspect the bottles would be glass-grenades. 
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime.  (Bill Owen)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »
Good catch!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »
I absolutely meant 3/4lb, as in 340 grams. I was targeting 5.3 volumes of CO2 in 20L of beer.  I used Champagne bottles, no explosions, but I did have a couple crowns come off unexpectedly.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »
I absolutely meant 3/4lb, as in 340 grams. I was targeting 5.3 volumes of CO2 in 20L of beer.  I used Champagne bottles, no explosions, but I did have a couple crowns come off unexpectedly.

that was the champagne style you were posting about right? so you probably lose some in the riddling/recorking process as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:50:27 pm »
that was the champagne style you were posting about right? so you probably lose some in the riddling/recorking process as well.

Yeah, I aimed high and probably lost about 1 volume due to disgorging and recorking.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

Wow...thanks for the confirmation.  Obviously _I_ never would guessed that's what you really meant!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:21 pm »
i understand you were shooting for high carb levels, but wouldn't that much sugar significantly impact your ABV?