Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Depth  (Read 5709 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Grain Depth
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
So I have purchased a 70qt cooler on my journey to all grain.  My latest question has to do with grain depth and its effect on efficiency and clarity.  With dimensions of 17.75 by 36.5 by 17.3 is there an issue with doing a 5 gallon batch?  I have read that you need a depth of 4 inches to act as an effective filter.  Thanks yet once again.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Grain Depth
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
I use a  58qt rectangular cooler and I've done many 5 gallon batches getting 75-80% efficiency and pretty good clarity. I've even made Pilsners that were fairly clear into the primary with my set-up. As long as your making beers in the 1.040ish and up, you should have good results with a 70 quart extreme.
Ron Price

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:13 am »
I fly sparge, but it should be noted that grain bed depth really doesn't matter with a batch sparge.

I've never seen an actual depth stated, but 4" seems reasonable. When I do small beers I generally move to a bottling bucked with a copper coil.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:53:53 pm »
Thanks for the info.  This forum is fantastic.  I have had so many questions answered and as a result feel prepared to take the all grain plunge.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »
Once you do it, you'll see that it's a LOT easier than it may sound now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jimbo44

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:07:46 am »
Not that I'm a pro, but we live in the same town so if you ever want someone to look your system over let me know.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:47 am »
So I have purchased a 70qt cooler on my journey to all grain.  My latest question has to do with grain depth and its effect on efficiency and clarity.  With dimensions of 17.75 by 36.5 by 17.3 is there an issue with doing a 5 gallon batch?  I have read that you need a depth of 4 inches to act as an effective filter.  Thanks yet once again.

You might try tilting the tun steeply if you run into issues to create a deeper bed on those 5 gal batches. I have a Coleman Extreme 70qt. Easy to batch-sparge with. I like it because I can brew big beers or small beers and still fill two 7.9 gal fermenters.  ;D

Grain bed depth might be better described in water/grain ratios- which can affect efficiency. So I've had wort slopping over the rim on a few bigger beers and retained a decent ratio.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:57:32 am »
You might try tilting the tun steeply if you run into issues to create a deeper bed on those 5 gal batches. I have a Coleman Extreme 70qt. Easy to batch-sparge with.

+1 I've got the same cooler and always prop up one end to give it as steep a tilt as I'm comfortable with when I'm doing the runoff.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:25 am »
I also have a 70 X-treme & batch sparge.  The only drawback I have encountered with a 5 gallon batch is a little more heat loss during the mash.  Maybe a couple degrees more than with a 10 gallon batch so I just up the mash temp a degree or two to compensate. Prolly doesn't matter anyway but it makes me feel better...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:20 am »
Brewing in my garage this winter (where the mash tun lives) I've had to up the strike water temp by about 14 degrees over what I calculate it should be to hit my mash temps for my 5 gallon batches.  Once it starts getting warmer out I'll need to dial that back.  I need to start recording the ambient temperate and comparing it to how much heat it takes to preheat the mashtun so I can predict it better as the season changes.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:36:08 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:39 am »
My experience is that it takes a huge thermal load to warm the CE up. I'm not sure if it can be over-heated, but I damn sure know it can be under-heated easily- resulting in a disappointing drop in mash temps.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »
Well, here is my status, I received the Coleman Xtreme which I will convert but was also able to get a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler fully converted with a false bottom and brass ball valve along with a 15 gallon converted keg with a t bazooka and brass ball valve for a great price.  I can therefore do 5 gallon or more in the rubbermaid and higher gravity in the Coleman.

Bill

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
I think you're loaded for BEAR now, I mean BEER!!!   ;D
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!