Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 8/24 Edition  (Read 10639 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 8/24 Edition
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »
just picked up grains for an imperial porter of some sort. gonna bitter with some chinook and use some ahtanam i have for a moderate late addition. 

don't know what it will be and don't care. that's half the fun!

cheers.

ryan
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

coastsidemike

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »
brewing a rye IPA, It'll be the third time I've made this yet tweaking the recipe every time.

Picking out color from what I have on hand (left to right, a tea of: Caramunich 45, Carared, Crystal 60, Roasted Barley)

Blending roasted barley into each makes them very close.   Going with the Carared + Roasted Barley based on color and flavor, targeting 14 Lovibond.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:02:44 pm by surfin_mikeg »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »
brewing a rye IPA, It'll be the third time I've made this yet tweaking the recipe every time.

Picking out color from what I have on hand (left to right, a tea of: Caramunich 45, Carared, Crystal 60, Roasted Barley)

Blending roasted barley into each makes them very close.   Going with the Carared + Roasted Barley based on color and flavor, targeting 14 Lovibond.

What did you come up with as your grain bill? I've got an Amber in the fermenter right now using CaraMunich with a pinch of Carafa III that is looking more like a Brown Ale right now, although I'm hoping it will look lighter in the glass.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

coastsidemike

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 02:44:42 pm »
What did you come up with as your grain bill? I've got an Amber in the fermenter right now using CaraMunich with a pinch of Carafa III that is looking more like a Brown Ale right now, although I'm hoping it will look lighter in the glass.

(Edited, added photo)

Well, those images are pre-brewing, I didn't do the math quite right in the recipe.  I did 19.5 lbs total into a 6 gallon batch, hit 1.078.  Because recipes of the past have come out tasting "grainy", I try to go light on adjuncts and see how it turns out - I did 8 oz of Carared and 3 oz of roasted barley. 

I'm not sure what it'll look like in a glass, maybe orangy/red, but it had a lot of brown hue when boiling.  My guess that some adjustment is in order.

Anyone have a favorite combination that's worked well for them?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:11:39 pm by surfin_mikeg »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »
Since this is still the 8/24 thread, I'll mention that on Labor Day I bottled 11 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen.  It went very smoothly considering I was kinda hungover after seeing a Bonnie Raitt concert the night before (awesome concert!!).  Luckily, a Quaprupel makes for good hair of the dog (that bit me).