Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter question...timing  (Read 4653 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Starter question...timing
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:52:42 am »
I pitched a 1.5L ale starter Saturday morning.  I'm using a stir plate (first time).  Will it be ready to pitch Monday afternoon?  I've heard 12-18 hours.  Is this correct?  I was hoping to refrigerate it Sunday night to drop the yeast out of suspension, then pull it out again Monday morning to warm up before pitching.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Starter question...timing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:55:15 am »
Depends on how fast the starter takes off.  If the viability was good and you can see activity at this point, then yeah, it'll probably be fine to pop it in the fridge tonight.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:12 am »
I'd say maybe. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
According to my yeast calculator, the viability was around 70%.  I assume the yeast calculator may err on the side of being too conservative.  Anyway, there was foaming/activity Saturday evening, and not much that I can see at 10AM Sunday.

By the way, how do you tell if there is activity when using a stir plate since there won't be a mini-krauesen?  I assume the surface foaming was the activity since it is gone today.

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »
My starters usually generate a pretty good layer of foam even with the stirplate going. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
My starters usually generate a pretty good layer of foam even with the stirplate going.

Do you use Fermcap in your starter?  I can't recall seeing any foam on the stirplate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:59:48 pm »
Yeah, I do use fermcap.  But during the most vigorous part of the starter's fermentation there's generally still some foam there for me.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:26:37 pm »
When using a stir plate, I've noticed that the starter goes from mostly transparent to milky within 12 hours or so, then after 24-36 hours I start to see chunks (floc) swirling around telling me the party's over and it's time to crash.

Letting it ferm out for at least 36 if not 48 hours lets the energy stores build back up in the yeast cells making for a healthier pitch come brew day. Remember; it's not the total number of cells that matters most, it's the health of those cells that will make for a happy fermentation.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »
i agree with "philm63". Thats the way i do it normally 18 to 24 hrs. Then i crash it for a few days and decant then pitch. It takes about 1 to 2 days to crash.

Offline wolf513

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 01:13:15 am »
Are there any problems with just pitching the entire starter into the wort? 

I just started doing starters and I didn't know about the cold crashing step.  I pitched the whole thing in after 24-36 hours.  I am using a stir plate and making roughly 1L starters.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:43 am »
Problem?  Not necessarily.

It just depends on the starter - is it fermenting warm?  Is it low gravity and throwing off the OG of your beer?  How does it taste?  Do you want it in your beer?

I'm a fan of cold crashing and then re-suspending it in some first runnings, but there is no right way to do it.
Tom Schmidlin