Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DVD/Blue Ray player w/HDTV receiver .... come in and laugh at how dumb I am!  (Read 4252 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
So, for some reason, my 5+ year old flat screen TV will not pick up HD signal over my antenna anymore.  Something in the TV will allow me to switch to other options (video games, DVD player, etc) but when I go to watch HDTV over the airwaves it won't turn on the receiver. I thought about getting Direct TV, but decided not too.

So I considered getting a new DVD player or Blue Ray to run my HDTV through the player instead. But I can't seem to find any description that says it has an HDTV receiver built in on any of the one's I have looked at. For instance, this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F9XHAY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I really want to watch football Sunday. Any help? Do these things come standard and they just don't make mention or what?

narvin

I don't think Blu-Ray players have built-in HDTV tuners.  At least none do that I've seen.  It's probably because every TV comes with one these days.  Get a new tv?

Right before the switch to digital-only OTA broadcasts they had an 800 number that old people could call to get a hdtv receiver so they wouldn't be cut off from the world.  Maybe you can find that number and call them... tell them the major fell and can't get up but still wants to watch the Titans lost this Sunday!   ;D

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Keith, what brand is it? I am having a similar problem with my LG.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Right before the switch to digital-only OTA broadcasts they had an 800 number that old people could call to get a hdtv receiver so they wouldn't be cut off from the world.  Maybe you can find that number and call them... tell them the major fell and can't get up but still wants to watch the Titans lost this Sunday!   ;D

So, I did a google search and looks like they are all sold used or refirbished at top dollar. And you misspelled "WIN".  ;)

That said, I did find this: http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Television-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=pd_cp_e_3 - looks promising.

Keith, what brand is it? I am having a similar problem with my LG.

Gosh, I can't remember right now. It's not LG. But I'll look and post it when I get home tonight. (I think it is something weird, like, Polaroid. I got it at wall mart - go figure. Could be the same TV though and different logos slapped on it.)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
I got a Polaroid LCD TV at walmart in 06 and it crapped out in 09. The HD tuner went out. I bought a Vizio and have been quite pleased though I wouldn't buy again at walmart- their competitively priced TV's seem to lack certain essential features.

Go buy another teevee!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Ya, blu-ray players don't usually have HD tuners in them.

We have been very happy with the 2 Panasonic TV's we have.  Great picture and no problems (so far).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
DVD/Blue Ray player w/HDTV receiver .... come in and laugh at how dumb I am!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
I should buy another TV but I have a frugal wife who won't buy another one until this one is completely crapped out.... that said, the frigging remote went out a year after we bought it. Maybe I can talk he into it... but I have home repairs I have put off for months and it will be difficult to procure new said TV until those are finished. :(

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Keith - I've got three of these scattered throughout my house: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DTA-800B1-Digital-Pass-through-Converter/dp/B001DT5LII/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346875536&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+digital+tuner

Relatively cheap and they work great.  Remote is programmable to work your TV.

I dumped Direct TV and went with a Roku and an AppleTV plus broadcast.  Streaming Netflix has everything I need to see that isn't local news or sports.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Keith - I've got three of these scattered throughout my house: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DTA-800B1-Digital-Pass-through-Converter/dp/B001DT5LII/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346875536&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+digital+tuner

I dumped Direct TV and went with a Roku and an AppleTV plus broadcast.  Streaming Netflix has everything I need to see that isn't local news or sports.

Besides the initial cost for the Roku unit how much does it cost to run the unit? Netflix costs $8/mo...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jrlooney

• 1st Kit
  • Cary, NC
I should buy another TV but I have a frugal wife who won't buy another one until this one is completely crapped out....

Nothing some "accidentally" spilled beverage wouldn't cure. Or maybe while you're carrying your ladder through the living room to work on those projects, you accidentally smack the tv with said ladder.

It's definitely that time of year where you can find good deals on new tvs. Actually compared to what I paid for a plasma 6 years ago, the cost of TVs is crazy low right now

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: DVD/Blue Ray player w/HDTV receiver .... come in and laugh at how dumb I am!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »
The cheapest HD tuners that allow you to watch HD as opposed to downgrading to analog TV standards are probably made for computers.  I have one that allows me to "Tivo."  Occasionally I will connect my computer to the HDTV to watch Tivo'd content on the big screen rather than on my computer monitor. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: DVD/Blue Ray player w/HDTV receiver .... come in and laugh at how dumb I am!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »

Besides the initial cost for the Roku unit how much does it cost to run the unit? Netflix costs $8/mo...

All I pay for is Netflix.  You could also do Amazon streaming, or Hulu, but I haven't had the need.  If you add enough services, it could cost as much as cable.

Roku has Pandora radio, so I've got streaming music.  Plus you can add "channels" (apps, basically) and I added one that will pick my iTunes library off my server.

The savings from not paying DirecTV has already paid for the Roku and the AppleTV.  They both have positives, but overall I like the Roku better.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline scott

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:48 pm »
What you want is this:  http://www.channelmastertv.com/

Like TiVo, but no monthly fees.  Record your shows.  I have a different brand and older version.  It is hard to find subscription-less DVRs now.  I get high-def over the air for free.  Many cable users don't realize that over the air is high-def, cable is compressed an no longer high-def.

If your remote died, try the Sony universal remotes, such as this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B00385XUG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346878095&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+universal+remote+control

You can program it to control all your electronics.
Scott

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 03:50:30 pm »
Is the antenna ok?  Maybe Isaac did it in.
Brew on

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:17 pm »

I doubt a digital-to-analog converter would work unless your TV has a working analog receiver.