Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye?  (Read 4950 times)

coastsidemike

Rye?
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:25 pm »
I don't know Rye.  At the stage of crafting my own recipes, which includes picking up random ingredients whenever found & tossin'm in.

Anyone have input on the rye below?  For a 6 gallon batch (~1.085), I used a pound of rye (upper left, moistened before crushing) + a half pound of flake (middle image), and the rye taste was brutally bitter lingering on the tongue for a minute or so (it was great, really).  Those without the 'lupulin shift' attraction would not go near it.

So, I figure I'd cut the rye way back, but can someone detail the difference on these ingredients as they impart flavor?  I picked up the flake on the lower right just recently, it's void of the green color.  When bringing together rye recipes, what is it that you use?

Thanks y'all.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Rye?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:12:33 am »
You should post the rest of your recipe.  When I use rye, I won't use less than 15% rye in my malt bill and usually around 20%.  It doesn't look like you used that much IMO, but then again I like rye.  I don't use flaked rye, so I don't know anything about that.
Dan Chisholm

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:17 am »
rye not?
Don AHA member

coastsidemike

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:21 am »
mash @ 152, batch sparge, 90 min boil, WLP001

14 lb 2 row (73%)
2 lb vienna (10%)
1.5 lb rye (8%)
1 lb munich (5%)
.5 lb carapil (2.5%)
2 oz roasted barley (0.5%)

Looking for ~65 IBU, an ounce of each:

60 min, American Nugget
20 min, German Opal, German Smaragd
8 minutes, German Opal, German Smaragd
dryhop, German Opal, German Smaragd

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:41:52 am »
I find that rye malt has a lot more of the spicy flavor I associate with rye than flaked rye does.  I use a minimum of 15% rye malt and have used upwards of 40%.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:49 am »
That middle batch of flaked rye looks very suspect, almost molded, hence your nasty flavor?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:34 am »
The batch size or SG wasn't mentioned, but the SG would have to be high to balance that bittering level.  In addition, the large dose of Nugget may not provide the nicest bittering character.  I don't think your problem was the rye, it was more likely the bittering schedule and hop selection.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
From the first post, OG was 1.085 Martin.  65 IBU isn't all that high for a 1.085 IPA.  My recipe is 1.073 and 75 IBU.  I wonder if maybe it's the Nugget?  Although the middle pic of the flaked rye doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

coastsidemike

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »
That middle batch of flaked rye looks very suspect, almost molded, hence your nasty flavor?

No mold, it has the same green color of the rye on the left, kinda like it's the same thing but pressed into a flake.

coastsidemike

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »
65 IBU isn't all that high for a 1.085 IPA.  My recipe is 1.073 and 75 IBU.  I wonder if maybe it's the Nugget?  Although the middle pic of the flaked rye doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before.

I was thinking the rye would kick up the bitterness (albeit a different flavor), so no need to add tons of hops as I have trouble filtering it out. 

So, maybe leave the middle flake out?  I was guessing if the rye itself didn't mash well, the flake would cover for it.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »
From the first post, OG was 1.085 Martin.

Oops, I see that. I'm with you that it was probably the hop selection.   Magnum is a magnificently clean bittering hop.  Try that next time. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:56 pm »
I don't find that rye increases bitterness, but does give a complimentary spicy flavor to certain hops (I like it with citrusy ones). I normally use 30% so it also gives a slick feel on the tongue and an interesting viscous look.

I brewed a Rye Wine this past Sunday with 30% rye (OG 1.103, 100 IBU's) and hopped with Columbus and Amarillo.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
Maybe I need to try again, but I've not been too keen on the rye beers I've tried/brewed.

Rye in a Manhattan, on the other hand...

Also, IME, Nugget can be harshly bitter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton