Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running out of space  (Read 5126 times)

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
Running out of space
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:47 am »
I have quite a dilemma.  I recently moved to a condo that has significantly less space than I am used to and I am running out of places to put my beer.  My new fermentation room is the spare bathroom, but my biggest problem is what to do with all of my beers that will be finishing up in the next few weeks.  I DO NOT have the room to keg nor do I have anywhere to put them.  For my last beer I bought a Party Pig and it has worked out great thus far, I put half in the pig and got 9 12oz and 5 bombers, but bottling in a galley kitchen was not fun at all.  I was thinking of buying a few more party pigs and just doing one off bottles from that, but I’m not sure I want to put all of my beer in the pigs.  I really don’t have the room to store empty bottles anymore either.   I saw the people who used the legal size file cabinets, but what do you do with the bombers? What would you do with limited space and 3 beers fermenting???

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Running out of space
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:32 am »
1. Drink more beer
2. Make more friends and co-op their space (for empties)
3. See if there are any garage units that you can rent.  (that's what I did at my old condo)
4. Meet a nice girl with a big garage or a big girl with a nice garage, whatever works for you. (This is why I'm no longer constrained by condo brewing) ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:54:33 am »
If I were you, I would move!   ;D
Scott B

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:23 am »
If I were you, I would move!   

You are about 30 minutes north of me, I will just use your space….   

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:18 am »
4. Meet a nice girl with a big garage or a big girl with a nice garage, whatever works for you.
Hilarious!
I would look into if your condo rents storage space on site or find a location where you can rent a small storage box.  Good luck.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:57 am »
I have a storage unit, but it is filled with fishing stuff and kayaks.  I would not want to leave my beer in a storage unit / garage with no climate control that is dusty and damp.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:31 am »

In that case, just keg your beer and put it in my refrigerator!  Problem solved! 
Scott B

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:19:55 am »

In that case, just keg your beer and put it in my refrigerator!  Problem solved!

Great idea, Scott!  I could make space in mine as well. ;D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:12 am »
I feel your pain, I am a homebrewer who lives in a condo as well. I have a storage unit that I store empty bottles and carboys in. In my office/brewery (3rd Bedroom), I have co-opted the closet for storing beer. I brew on the back patio, and store all of my brewing equipment other than the mash tun in the office. My next plan, once I get the funds, is to put a chest freezer on my back porch and start kegging. If you stick with bottling, I like to run to my local bottle shop, and I can usually get a few boxes for storing 22oz bottles. I usually have 10-15 gallons of beer in bottles at any time, and the only way to store all of that is to stack up the boxes. Hope this all helps.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:51:22 am »
Use cases of bottles to build furniture. Replace bed with kegerator, sleep on couch. Make it a sofabed or futon in case you meet that nice girl. If she approves of your sacrifices for homebrewing, propose immediately.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 08:16:59 am »
Some “good”, and I use the term loosely, ideas, but still up in the air on what to do.  I bought another Party Pig and I am now collecting bottles for the next one, so we will see what happens after that.  And on a side note is this the Delaware regional forum?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:03 am »
Yeah there was a coup a few months ago. We used overcarbonated bottles as weapons.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958