Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Software Question  (Read 3444 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Software Question
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:36:39 am »
Exactly what is, if any, the advantage of Beersmith over free softwares such as Brewtarget or Brewmate?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Software Question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »
Let's see, it's very robust in supporting multiple methods of brewing (BIB, decoction, etc), there's large installed base of users for advice, it's a business so support should be better.

Is that better than free?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:43 pm »
I've tried BrewTarget briefly and QBrew (another open source recipe creator), and Beer Smith is definitely more feature rich in terms of extras (e.g. grains from specific maltings). You can download Beer Smith from the website for free and use it for a full month before you have to pay. Try it and see if you like it better than the freeware versions.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:41:26 am »
You can download Beer Smith from the website for free and use it for a full month before you have to pay. Try it and see if you like it better than the freeware versions.

+1 This is the best advice.  I haven't used the freeware you mentioned so I can't compare them.  But with the free trial you can and decide if its worth the money.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:06 am »
I did the free trial and so far thought it looked a lot nicer, but as far as the functions, I felt Brewtarget had all but the timer. I did find Beersmith more complicated to use but I don't know if that was because I just wasn't used to it. So far I don't see any differences that are worth $27.95 but I could possibly be missing something. Which is why I asked the question.

To the first responder, what is the "base of users"?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:27:16 am »
Yeah, if you're satisfied with freeware there's no real reason to switch over. Being commercial software, Beer Smith might have more active development in terms of future features, bug fixes, and those things, whereas freeware might be less active since its essentially volunteers who do the work.

To the first responder, what is the "base of users"?

I would assume that's just referring to Beer Smith forums for advice, troubleshooting, etc.

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:27:46 pm »
I've been a happy user of Beersmith, but I've just this week been giving Brewer's Friend a try.  So far... I like it.