Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA recipe formulation question/problems  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Black IPA recipe formulation question/problems
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:35:36 am »
  I usually grind my roasted malts for color in a coffee grinder if you have it available.  Otherwise, a grain mill will work just find.

Could you expand on this please?  Are you saying that you have a grain mill but you prefer to grind your color malts in a coffee grinder?  No astringency issues with this technique?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:53 am »
  I usually grind my roasted malts for color in a coffee grinder if you have it available.  Otherwise, a grain mill will work just find.

Could you expand on this please?  Are you saying that you have a grain mill but you prefer to grind your color malts in a coffee grinder?  No astringency issues with this technique?

I only grind my carafa malts for my black IPAs and other styles (i.e. roggens, etc) in a coffee grinder, coarse setting. Usually it is only a few ounces anyways.  It is already huskless (as the midnight wheat would also be), so no issues with astringency.  Then add it to the top of the mash.  I add it seperate from the other grains.  Never had an astringency issue.  I can't claim the idea, I heard Jamil talking about the technique on one of the Jamil Show archives years ago....

Offline ajdarnel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:11 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I can't ignore the almost unanimous 'get rid of the chocolate malt' statements, so my new/improved recipe looks like this:

OG: around 1.060, mash around 150 F for 60 min

2 row pale: 20.5 lbs
Crystal 40L: 2.7 lbs
Carafa II: 1.0 lbs (possibly ground extra/on top/near end of mash)
Midnight Wheat: 1.0 lbs (added at the end of mash)

I also decreased my hops a bit, so my IBU's should be between 56-66 (instead of the previous range of 63-85)

Columbus 3 oz 15.2% (I found out the specific AA at my supplier) @ 15 min before flameout
Nugget 1.5oz 13.3% @ 15 min before flameout

Columbus 2/Nugget 2 @ flameout
Columbus 2/Nugget 2 @ dry hop, 7 days

Wyeast 1056 with a good 'starter'.

I plan on brewing this next Saturday (Sep 15).
          Thanks again,
                   Cheers!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 11:51:08 am »
For some reason I just noticed, no bittering hops?  Not saying it can't or won't work, just surprising.

Offline ajdarnel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 12:09:24 pm »
For some reason I just noticed, no bittering hops?  Not saying it can't or won't work, just surprising.

The additions with 15 minutes left "should" add the necessary IBUs so I've read. I saw a few other recipes like this and decided to try it out. My calculations along with an app I use (BrewPal) both confirm that this should work....it better! ;)