Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Sausage Book by Ruhlman and Polcyn  (Read 3968 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
New Sausage Book by Ruhlman and Polcyn
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:32:07 pm »
This one has been in the works for a while. Chef Polcyn has talked about work on the next book - Salumi. You know, those tasty Itaialian sausages. Chef Polcyn has had some really good ones at the restaurant in the past.

Coming out soon.
http://www.amazon.com/Salumi-The-Craft-Italian-Curing/dp/0393068595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344442704&sr=8-1&keywords=salumi
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New Sausage Book by Ruhlman and Polcyn
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:17:02 pm »
I placed my Amazon order a couple weeks ago. Hoping for a first-printing. Then maybe I can get it signed...

Though, while I already have the 'Home production" book by the Marianski's and it goes into some detail- they also have a book solely devoted to fermented sausages. They get quite technical which I'm hoping Ruhlman and Polcyn will follow in suit. Will probably pull the trigger on it.

About to order the lactic culture (Bactoferm T-SPX & F-LC) so I can start with the Salumi. Sorry kegerator... You have other uses now!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:54:15 pm »
Once you guys get your fancy Italian cured meats all ready and you go to make those nice thin shavings of delicious cured meats, be careful with your fancy meat slicer and make sure you don't put your thumb into it like I did on the weekend.  4 stitches in the end of my thumb.  Stupid - just not paying attention.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:46:24 pm »
Graham - Ouch!

Talked to Chef Polcyn last weekend at the place in Milford. He said the first book with Ruhman was thought to be able to sell about 8-10K copies. It is over 125k now. Something of an anomoly for the authors not having a TV show. An added benefit is going around the country to do demos/lectures that are comped by the local organizations. Sausage is now cool!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:38:10 am »
The book should be here on Friday!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:12 am »
Article from one of the local papers.
http://www.freep.com/article/20120909/COL20/309090037/New-book-underscores-Brian-Polcyn-s-impact-on-dining?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Hope he does one on German wurst.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:36 am »
I started looking into homemade sausage a few weeks ago, and haven't really gotten anywhere. I really love French saucisson sec and wanted to see if I can make something fairly authentic. What's a good resource (book, website, blog, etc.) for someone who's never made sausage before?  This will have to be a long term goal since right now the only equipment I own is a meat grinder (no stuffer) and I don't really have a place to dry cure meats. Maybe I'll try a chorizo for my first time out...