General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

surprisingly low wort fermentability

(1/4) > >>

Kaiser:
Last weekend I brewed a Hopfenweiss inspired Weissbier IPA. I was shooting for highly fermentable wort with 30 min rests at 150, 144 and 150 F. When I got back the FFT results I was very surprised that i got only 75 % apparent attenuation.

I'm not sure what happened here. Maybe the Pils and wheat malt didn't have enough diastatic power?

But this was a good opportunity to start an experiment on diastatic enzymes during fermentation. So I put about 600 ml each of the beer into 1000 ml fasks. To one I added only water as the control to account for the lower OG that the others will have. To one I added some Beano and the last one received a 10 Plato wort extracted from malt with a 30 min mash at 140 F. This leaves most of the b-amylase intact and should kill proteinases and most of the bacteria.

This morning I saw quite some activity in the flask with the malt extract. There is also some activity in the Beano flask. I may have to add some some. I didn't know how much Beano is needed since brewers are generally advised against using it. Very little activity in the control fermentation.

Kai

Jimmy K:
I don't know for sure, but the enzyme in beano may be denatured by alcohol. This happens to pectic enzyme which must be added before fermentation.

tom:
I have added Beano to an 8% beer and it went up to 12%.  Although I don't recommend it!   :o

Kaiser:
The beano seems to working. Just a bit slower.

Tom, how much beano did you and to how much beer?

Kai

denny:
Kai, you might also want to check out Greg Doss's presentation on fermentability from the Seattle NHC.  One thing I found interesting was that his experiment identified a mash temp of 153 as having the greatest attenuation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version