Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing woes (late yeast pitch)  (Read 5064 times)

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
Brewing woes (late yeast pitch)
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »
Brewing with my brother 2 hrs away from home and left yeast at home in the fridge. We cooled it down to 60 and sealed it up in the fermenter as if i had pitched. Bought the yeast at a lhbs this am, aerated and pitched. Duration from cool to pitch was 9-10 hours. Anyone had experience with pitching late? What is the latest you have pitched without ill effects?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Brewing woes (late yeast pitch)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »
Brewing with my brother 2 hrs away from home and left yeast at home in the fridge. We cooled it down to 60 and sealed it up in the fermenter as if i had pitched. Bought the yeast at a lhbs this am, aerated and pitched. Duration from cool to pitch was 9-10 hours. Anyone had experience with pitching late? What is the latest you have pitched without ill effects?

It'll probably be fine.  Although I haven't done it often,  a few times I have had to delayed pitching for a similar length of time and in the end encountered no problem at all. 
In fact, I've gone so far  as to rack it off of  whatever had settled out in the interim, transferring the beer into a new ferment vessel and then pitched.  Again there, no negative effect at all on the finished beer.

See how it goes...I'm guessing that if everything was properly sanitized, the beer will be fine.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »
i couldn't get my wort cool before i had to do something not too long ago.   it only got down to about 90, so i put an airlock on it and pitched the next morning, to no ill effects that i could tell.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »
Yes, if your sanitation was good, then you have nothing to fear.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:37:53 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
Quite often do I let the wort sit unpitched and at 60F or lower overnight. This is when the yeast hasn't settled enough yet or I'm too tired to finish.

Kai

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »
I routinely let my wort set for several hours before pitching to let it come down to pitching temp.  Especially in the summer, and always with lagers that I'm trying to pitch at 46-48F.  I rarely let it sit as long as you're talking about but, as stated above, if your sanitation was good, it shouldn't be a problem.

Recently I started wondering just how sanitary my wort was by the time it was chilled and made it to the fermenter.  So I've occasionally started pulling a sample before pitching the yeast and putting it in a sanitized jar with foil on top and just letting it sit there in a warm place for days to see if anything starts happening.  So far I've let samples sit as long as five days without any type of activity at all.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
I run a professional brewery, and I do this on 10 bbl batches all the time. You will be absolutely fine.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »
Quite often do I let the wort sit unpitched and at 60F or lower overnight. This is when the yeast hasn't settled enough yet or I'm too tired to finish.

Kai
Let me guess...when you have done a triple decoction mash ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »
If your sanitation is good no issue. Ive pitched 36 hours or so after brewing and had no ill effects.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:45 pm »
Well thank God for that. I forget something every time i go up there to brew. I swear my brother thinks i am deliberately sabotaging his brews.