Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison Voisin  (Read 3252 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Saison Voisin
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »
This one is a little weird for a saison in that it has a caramel character that seems a bit out of place in the style. Still, I'm surprised at how low the reviews for this beer are at RateBeer and BeerAdvocate. Aside from the caramel, I think this is a pretty nice saison. There is a nice resinous hop thing going on that balances that thin saison body and keeps it from being too watery in the mouthfeel. The bitterness is nice but very smooth and there is a nice pepper kick to it.

Maybe I haven't had enough good examples of the saison style, but I'm pretty happy with this beer. Anyone else have an opinion on it?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Saison Voisin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
who brews Saison Voisin?  That translates to Neighbor season, season of the neighbor, maybe seasonal neighbor, or maybe even neighborly season(my wife is from France, these are her translations as well as mine).
French and Belgian saisons really have few rules other than being fermented at higher temps and using local ingredients.  Fantome is different every year and the brewer apparently makes no apologies for that.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:54 am »
I'm a big fan of this beer. I'd go so far as to say it's among my favorites. I normally don't like caramel in my PA's and IPA's, but I think it works in this beer. Too bad it's one of those Belgian beers that can be difficult to find in Belgium.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:58:30 am »
This beer is brewed by Brasserie des Geants. Apparently Voisin was the surname of the the original brewer. Des Geants started brewing the recipe about 10 years ago.

The importer is out of Massachusetts so I don't really know what the availability is outside of New England.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:09:34 pm »
I saw it once in Colorado but not in the last couple of years. I remember liking it.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout