Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Big Burner  (Read 15595 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Best Big Burner
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:53:57 pm »
I will be getting my new brewing garage in a couple weeks and I'm thinking about what equipment I'm going to need.
I am upping my brew size to 15 gal batches and I'm looking for the best, highest efficiency propane burner to handle a pot big enough for 15 gal batches. I don't think my turkey fryer is the best solution.

I will post shots when I get the property and the process but for now I am starting to compile equipment.
It will be a batch sparge system with a hot water heater for sparge water. The property is on a well so no chlorine to worry about.

I'm going to order 6 15 gal plastic fermenters and give them a try.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Best Big Burner
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »
I have some Blichmann stuff, but not the burners and stands.

John is an engineer, so you can see some of his tests here.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:29:22 pm »

Six. That sounds more like a commitment than a trial :)

Kai

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »

Six. That sounds more like a commitment than a trial :)

Kai

Well, yeah I guess it sort of is. I'm going to try these http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5790/15-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-in0015-19

For about $80 a piece, 6 is going to run me around $500 and I can't get a single stainless for that from what I've found. 
My plan is to build a small room in my new shop with a window shaker air conditioner to keep it around 50F.  That'll be fairly easy for much of the year here.  I want to put two of these in this cold room for doing lagers.  I'm also planning to use the room to store grain.  I have a freezer that I use today for a keezer that I will use for lagering instead.

Another 2 will be in the main area.  I make a lot of pale ales, saisons, british styles and wheat beers so I thought I'd use two of these in rotation for ales.  The other two I was just going to keep in storage because I have no idea how long these will last without scratching etc.  They come from Iowa and I'm going to be there in a month or so and I figured since I'm driving back, I may as well grab a couple extra cause it's worth it not to have to ship them even though I realize I'm tying $160 up in fermenters that I may not need for a year or two.  My experience with pails has been that I get about 12-18 months out of them before I end up scratching them somehow.  I did also consider designating one for pale ales only, one for saisons only, one for sours only etc but that may be over kill.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:51 am »
I've got a Blichmann burner, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's built like a brick sh!thouse, gets the wort to a boil fast and seems efficient.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 10:28:28 am »
I've got a Blichmann burner, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's built like a brick sh!thouse, gets the wort to a boil fast and seems efficient.

Mine is somewhere between St. Louis & California.  Expected to arrive Monday.  I'll buy propane this weekend, prepare a starter, and empty a fermenter.

I feel like a kid before Christmas!
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:15 am »
I've been checking out this one.  But of course, they won't ship to Canada >:(
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/619alp-32-jet-propane-gas-jet-burner.htm

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »

Well, yeah I guess it sort of is. I'm going to try these http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5790/15-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-in0015-19

For about $80 a piece, 6 is going to run me around $500 and I can't get a single stainless for that from what I've found. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for $75 you only get the fermenter, the stand is another $75. So 6 with stands will run you more like $900.

still cheaper than stainless tho
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:57:45 pm »

+1 and QUIET!!! Plus, you can't beat the customer service.  Generally, John replys himself!

Offline renobrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:24 pm »
Blichmann burner looks very similar to a Banjo burnner; Is there a difference in the burner itself? Also I would like to hear thougths on gas vs propane and the rationale behind a high vs low pressure system.

thanks
Reno Brewer
The Biggest Little Brewer in the World

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 07:36:59 pm »
Blichmann burner looks very similar to a Banjo burnner; Is there a difference in the burner itself? Also I would like to hear thougths on gas vs propane and the rationale behind a high vs low pressure system.

thanks

I can't tell you about pressure or gas vs propane.  But, I had difficulty with the Banjo burner on a regular propane tank.  Probably a defect vs. operator error?  Tried 2 different regulators with no luck.  Traded it in for the Blichmann and have not had an issure since day one.  Had an issue with the regulator and John Blichmann replaced it for free even though it was no longer under warranty.  I know the Banjo may be cheaper, but in the long run with customer service that Blichmann provides, it is a no brainer for me.  Blichmann all the way!!!!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for $75 you only get the fermenter, the stand is another $75. So 6 with stands will run you more like $900.

still cheaper than stainless tho

Yeah but a wooden bench with 4 holes cut in it will cost a whole lot less than the 6 stands.  I wasn't intending on buying the stands. 

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:18 pm »
Anyone with a Blichmann burner ever freeze up a propane tank?  I had a pair of banjo burners and used to regularly freeze up the tank if it got below half full.  This was not running it too high or running two at once.  You can put the tank in a water bath to help this, but going to a natural gas setup was a more satisfying solution.  The Blichmann burners appear to be the same, but wondering if they suffer from this.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:54 am »

+1 and QUIET!!! Plus, you can't beat the customer service.  Generally, John replys himself!

Yep. That Blichmann stuff is AWESOME and always worth the investment. John is a great guy - AND a Boilermaker!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:33:59 am »

Yep. That Blichmann stuff is AWESOME and always worth the investment. John is a great guy - AND a Boilermaker!
John said he went to Iowa State.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!