Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freezer concern  (Read 2390 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Freezer concern
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »
The chest freezer sits nearly flush with my floor- about 1/2" gap and after moving it I noticed some mildew on the tile in the center of the footprint. Obviously there's some condensation buildup from the tile getting cold and the dark creating an environment encouraging growth.

I'm considering raising the freezer up about 1.75" off the floor. Is there any practical reason why this shouldn't be done? I'm concerned about affecting the performance and efficiency by widening the space.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Freezer concern
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »
I suspect no issues. It should as insulated on the bottom as elsewhere. Raising it 3 or 4 inches should give good ventalation and prevent the condensation.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Freezer concern
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:53 am »
I can't imagine why that would be a problem.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958