Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP On-Line Exam - did you finish?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Re: BJCP On-Line Exam - did you finish?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »
Wow - now THAT's what I call a well rounded answer! Thanks guys.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »
there was no way that anyone could remember all the style differences that they were asking for.

I'm glad you passed, though I certainly don't agree with this statement.
ability to look up things quickly is not knowledge.
[/quote]

Well let's put it this way.  If I had to invest the amount of time I'd need to remember every subtle nuance of all 70+ styles, I wouldn't be doing it.  I've read the BJCP style guidelines more than once for all of the styles, I've listened to Jamil's show, many of them several times and I've read most of the popular brewing books as well as brewing over 50 batches a year and I still struggled because of the way some of the questions were worded. 
The reason I posted this in the first place was because I wondered if everyone else got through it and also because I really don't understand why they have the survey first.  The survey asks "is 1 hour enough time..."  After doing the test, my answer would be no.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »
I took it at lunch while at work, on a whim, with no reference materials....and just barely squeeked by.  I thought I was done, and then had a few unanswered questions *that I thought I had answered*...my intent was to fail to get an understanding of what they were asking, but I passed by the hair on my chinny chin chin (as they say).

The wording of such entrance exams are designed to throw you off....after all, it is beer nerds testing you to see if you are worthy of being in the club.

The real challenge is finding a testing slot within a 12 month window.  I have one in March 2013 *I think, and I tested just after the opening of the new on-line exam in April 2012.  There are at least 5 exams scheduled in my area in the next 12 months, and to my knowledge, I got the last slot.  I even checked my old home town (fly to test) and the 3 or 4 scheduled in the next year were also booked.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »
I took it at lunch while at work, on a whim, with no reference materials....and just barely squeeked by.  I thought I was done, and then had a few unanswered questions *that I thought I had answered*...my intent was to fail to get an understanding of what they were asking, but I passed by the hair on my chinny chin chin (as they say).

The wording of such entrance exams are designed to throw you off....after all, it is beer nerds testing you to see if you are worthy of being in the club.

The real challenge is finding a testing slot within a 12 month window.  I have one in March 2013 *I think, and I tested just after the opening of the new on-line exam in April 2012.  There are at least 5 exams scheduled in my area in the next 12 months, and to my knowledge, I got the last slot.  I even checked my old home town (fly to test) and the 3 or 4 scheduled in the next year were also booked.

That is the biggest problem with the BJCP exam process.  I want to study,take, and pass the online test. But..why if there are no testing slots in the major metro area I live in (Los Angeles)?  I can travel either 3-4 hours south or 5-6 hours north and "maybe" find an open slot.   Seems like a major headache...just so somebody can wave a wand over my head and say "you are a beer judge".  Yet everytime there is a comp..they are hurting for judges and will take just about anyone.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »
The reason I did the exam was because there is a tasting exam coming up.  Sept 30 I will do the tasting exam with absolutely no ability to study or practice because there is one exam per year in my area at most and I couldn't get in last year.  But, I had to do it at the last minute cause thats when I found out about it.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 07:50:33 am »
...but quickly realized that there was no way that anyone could remember all the style differences that they were asking for.

So how did any of us pass the written exam of old? ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:25 am »
...but quickly realized that there was no way that anyone could remember all the style differences that they were asking for.

Well clearly, you're a lot smarter than I am :)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:20 am »

Well clearly, you're a lot smarter than I am :)
I retook the written exam and did two points worse than the first time.  So I'm either getting dumber or the standards are getting higher.  Or both.

She is smart by the way, she works in construction but doesn't swing a hammer.  I think thats one definition of smart.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:40 am »
I haven't taken the online test yet but I did take the course to get you ready to take the test a little over a year ago and had the same problem with trying to find a testing close to me.  The closest one, 2 hours away, was filled a year in advance.  :'(
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

That is the biggest problem with the BJCP exam process.  I want to study,take, and pass the online test. But..why if there are no testing slots in the major metro area I live in (Los Angeles)?  I can travel either 3-4 hours south or 5-6 hours north and "maybe" find an open slot.   Seems like a major headache...just so somebody can wave a wand over my head and say "you are a beer judge".  Yet everytime there is a comp..they are hurting for judges and will take just about anyone.

I totally agree with what you are saying about the lack of slots in LA.  I plan on taking the online test soon, but just to see where I stand on knowledge.  I've pretty much given up on the thought of taking the next level of exams due to lack of availability.  If something pops up for me, great... but otherwise, I can live without it.  I'm hoping that the online exam is only a small part of the testing overhaul, and that they will iron out the rest eventually.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 08:50:27 am »
She is smart by the way, she works in construction but doesn't swing a hammer.  I think thats one definition of smart.

HA. I quite like that definition!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 11:15:20 am »
there was no way that anyone could remember all the style differences that they were asking for.

I'm glad you passed, though I certainly don't agree with this statement.
ability to look up things quickly is not knowledge.

Well let's put it this way.  If I had to invest the amount of time I'd need to remember every subtle nuance of all 70+ styles, I wouldn't be doing it.  I've read the BJCP style guidelines more than once for all of the styles, I've listened to Jamil's show, many of them several times and I've read most of the popular brewing books as well as brewing over 50 batches a year and I still struggled because of the way some of the questions were worded. 
The reason I posted this in the first place was because I wondered if everyone else got through it and also because I really don't understand why they have the survey first.  The survey asks "is 1 hour enough time..."  After doing the test, my answer would be no.
[/quote]

Well I just finished taking the 200 question test and only got to 158 before time ran out.  Unfortunately I did not pass.   I am not sure if the test is adaptive or not.   It seemed to definately hammer away at some of my weaknesses.  My advice is to prepare as if you were going to take the tasting test.  The way the questions are presented it would be beneficial to know as much about the styles and off flavors in conjunction with brewing techniques as much as possible.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 11:57:55 am »
I just took the test and passed.  I was convince that there was no way I could answer 200 questions in 60 minutes, but I was able to do it with time to spare... which I used to go back and review some questions I wasn't totally sure of.

I've got a BJCP study group happening one day a month for the next 4 months.  I'll take the judging exam at that point if there is one available.  If not, I'll be happy with what I've learned anyway.   :)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »

4000 BJCP judges would dissagree.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
The test wasn't THAT bad. I am sure I missed a couple regarding style differences. No sweat. It is the journey...right?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011