Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 34/70 fermented at ale temps??  (Read 3606 times)

Offline christo

• Cellarman
34/70 fermented at ale temps??
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:40 am »
Anyone have any data points on how their beers turned out using 34/70 at 68F or so?

My Whitbread starter did not start up, so I opted to use my backup dry yeasts.  Ended up, though, only having 34/70 in the bin.  What, the heck, I pitched it.

Was wondering if anyone else has fermented with it at higher temps and what I should expect.  It has shot off a ton of sulfur so far.  Not getting much fruitiness yet (day 3) but the sulfur could be masking it.

Offline christo

• Cellarman
Re: 34/70 fermented at ale temps??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:55 am »
Well, so that anyone else who might have this situation arise, here is my data point.

The 34/70 kicked out tons of sulfur during a very vigorous ferment.  I sampled at Day 6 and while it had a distinct sulfur aroma and flavor, there were no esters to speak of and I noted that the hops were really shining well (I used Willamette at 60, 30, & 10).  Gravity had already dropped from 1.050 to 1.012.  I racked on Day 9 and the sulfur had already dropped about 1/2 in intensity and gravity was at 1.011.  This allowed for a bit better chance to taste the underlaying features, and again, no esters, just a tingle of alchohol, malt and hops again really shine with a cleaner yeast (even though there is still yeast in suspension).  I believe this will be a good option for a Cal Common.  In any event, the 34/70 seems quite clean even when fermented at 65-68F.

I used 1/2 the cake for an IPA, so we'll see how it fares with a bigger beer.  I'm hoping it can attenuate ok.  It blew off 1/4 gallon with a fast and furious first day. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:08 am »
Thanks for the the info. I've really been toying with the idea of playing around with lager yeasts for my hoppy beers, but temp control can be a big PITA for me at lager temps. I can definitely keep it under 68F pretty easily though.

I may have to do a side-by-side with 34/70 and US-05 whenever I get around to making an all-grain version of my XPA.

Please keep us posted on how your IPA turns out with this yeast as well!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline christo

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:11 am »
Racked both the Amber lager and the IPA lager to kegs yesterday.  No esters and no sulfur left either.

Biggest thing is the clarity.  Both are super bright to brilliant.  They look like they have been lagering for a few months right out of the carboy.

The hops do seem to stand out with the clean yeast profile.  I was a little concerned originally that the lager yeast may not attenuate as much as I wanted, but actually both are on the dry side.  The Amber went from 1.052 to 1.012 and the IPA went from 1.070 to 1.014. 

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
34/70 fermented at ale temps??
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:02 am »
Thanks for Sharing Christo

I'll have some of that yeast left over after I get started with lager season this year.  I'll try it on my IPA.