Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 9828 times)

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
I'm back
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »
After a year away from brewing, I've decided to give it another go. I'm not sure how many of you will remember me, but I used to frequent the forums quite a bit. Feels good to be back. I had to make a lot of changes in my life and that didn't leave a lot of time for brewing. Got divorced(amicably), lost over 100lbs and quit smoking and chewing. I had been fat my entire life. It feels so good to finally be in shape. That being said, I'll be brewing a high calorie IIPA this weekend. LOL. Anyhoo, it's good to be back and it's good to see so many familiar faces. Inb4 "dear diary."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
Welcome back, ryan! Congrats on the six pack, assuming it is yours. Of course, once you start drinking again it will be gone, ya know.  ;)

OTOH maybe your hair will grow back!  :)

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »
Thanks, Major! I gave up on my hair long ago. LOL. Might grow the beard back though. Believe it or not, I still do a fair bit of drinking and still have the abs(barely).

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
Hi Ryan, I do remember you.

Congrats on the new look. Looks bad-ass. Keep up the exercise and the beer won't hurt you.

Kai

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
You made the right call on the hair. You have to get in front of the story and change the narrative. If you let a receding hairline go on for long enough, you could end up with a bad comb-over, and no one likes that. Bald with a beard is a good look too.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »
When you say you lost over 100 lbs. are you refering to your ex?   8)

Welcome back.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:48 pm »
When you say you lost over 100 lbs. are you refering to your ex?   8)

Welcome back.

Zing!

Feels kinda weird digging out all of my brewing gear. Really looking forward to it though.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:17:12 am »
So what was your workout/diet regime? I have had close to zero luck losing weight (I need to get rid of about 70 pounds) with the one exception of my crazy college kid days where I was biking ±20 miles a day and eating only pasta and ben & jerry's. Got down to 190 then.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:29:51 am »
So what was your workout/diet regime? I have had close to zero luck losing weight (I need to get rid of about 70 pounds) with the one exception of my crazy college kid days where I was biking ±20 miles a day and eating only pasta and ben & jerry's. Got down to 190 then.

Calculated my BMR(google it) and ate 500 cals under that. Also lifting weights. Lift heavy to preserve muscle as you cut weight. Otherwise you'll lose a ton of lean mass. After a month or so you actually get used to being hungry. You shouldn't feel like you're starving though.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:37:33 am »
After a month or so you actually get used to being hungry.

I just heard that in a campaign speech.  Things are better!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 04:03:58 am »

Calculated my BMR(google it) and ate 500 cals under that. Also lifting weights. Lift heavy to preserve muscle as you cut weight. Otherwise you'll lose a ton of lean mass. After a month or so you actually get used to being hungry. You shouldn't feel like you're starving though.

Sounds reasonable! 1800 calories is apparently what I need. How long did it take you?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
I'm back
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:05 am »
i haven't had a six-pack since my late 20s but I got pretty close in my late 30's up until my forties with running 24-30 miles/week and lifting weights 4 - 5 days. I had cut back drinking to weekends only. Since I opened the brewery, though, my mid section has continued to spread.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:51 am »
i haven't had a six-pack since my late 20s but I got pretty close in my late 30's up until my forties with running 24-30 miles/week and lifting weights 4 - 5 days. I had cut back drinking to weekends only. Since I opened the brewery, though, my mid section has continued to spread.
Keith, I would think that schlogging  grain bags and kegs around would keep you in shape.  Oh but then there is all that QA product sampling ;)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:21 am »
Welcome back!

At first thought it was like: looks like another someone got drawn into Insanity. But just exercise and calorie management? Great results.

FWIW I've had a mono-pack my whole life. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:43 am »
Wow. It's good to know that there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'm down about 80 pounds myself right now, and have probably 60ish more to go. It's nice to know that at some point you can cross the line from "you look good for someone who was so big" to just plain "you look good".

For anyone who is serious about losing a bunch of weight by counting calories, I recommend you really be religious about logging everything into a food tracker of some sort (I use http://sparkpeople.com), even if you know that you blew it for a particular day. It takes a lot of discipline if you're seriously in it for the long haul, and you can't let one bad day here or there kill you.

FWIW, I target 1200-1500 calories a day (yes, that is insanely low, but I started at about 300 lbs and needed to go hardcore). I make sure I eat at least 80-100 grams of protein a day. You need to increase your protein intake a bit since your body will start burning more protein for its caloric content, leaving less for rebuilding lean body mass.

Sounds reasonable! 1800 calories is apparently what I need. How long did it take you?

The rule of thumb is that 2000 calories is roughly equal to 1 lb. So I think 5-10 pounds a month is a good estimate, and that pretty much matches my experience as well. The first month's weight loss should be significantly higher, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer