Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?  (Read 12281 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re: When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
I am master of my domain.  ;)
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline cycleak

• 1st Kit
  • Aloha and Cheers to Brewing Beer!
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
Ok, sounds like alot of different opinions.  And no, I don't have an ego problem nor am I an insecure.  I just prefer not to be called a Homebrew Master.  I am quite humble about it and like I said in my original post I'm just a guy who loves Homebrewing Beer and loves all things Craft Beer.  And I agree that the proof is in the glass.  Thanks for the replies. Aloha!
😎🤙🍺🏝

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »
I certainly don't asked to be called anything.  If someone calls me anything positive, I take it as a complement and then say that I like the hobby and enjoy learning new things and trying to make good beer.  Jokingly, the guys in my group call me the professor, because I dig quite a bit deeper into things than most of them do, but I don't seek a status and welcome the extract brewer making his first of a new style as much as the triple decoration all grain guy.  That is what is great about this hobby/lifestyle/obsession - it's cool on all levels.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 05:59:57 pm »
Another showy title defined:

Expert

Ex = has-been
spurt = a leak under pressure.

Expert = a has-been leak under pressure.   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »
I don't have a degree in fishing, but I have been fishing since 1960, using every type of bait imaginable.    ;D
Ok.  No one is going to call Carl on this?

I'm not giving him the satisfaction....;)

You don't have to, apparently he's been giving himself the satisfaction for decades now.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:41 pm »
I would say, I can make good beer that you like. I'm glad you appreciate my beer. but just call me a brewer of good beer.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:32 am »
I don't have a degree in fishing, but I have been fishing since 1960, using every type of bait imaginable.    ;D
Ok.  No one is going to call Carl on this?

I'm not giving him the satisfaction....;)

You don't have to, apparently he's been giving himself the satisfaction for decades now.

Being a master fisherman is very satisfying!   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 03:38:10 am »
According to Dictionary.com:

brew·mas·ter/ˈbro͞oˌmastər/
Noun:   
A person who supervises the brewing process in a brewery.

So technically, we are all brew masters in our own brewery.  I think most people assume the name is an earned rank of some kind.  I don't refer to myself as a brew master but rather as a brewer (or hack with dumb luck  ;) ).  If others call me a brew master while drinking my beer, I don't correct them.

Paul
I'm called the brewmaster in our monastery because I'm in charge of the brewing.  However, I really don't like having that title precisely because it infers so much training, knowledge, and experience.  I'm learning a lot every day I brew, but to really consider myself a "master" is a far stretch at this point.  I personally prefer being called "head brewer".

However, I would say that a lot of homebrewers are true brewmasters (even if it's only on their system).  The creativity and art is much more thriving in a home environment than a professional/business one.  And of course consistent and good results are the sign of that.  Understanding the ingredients, process, and results, as well as being able to formulate a recipe based on what flavors you want seem to me to be the biggest criteria for being a master.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 11:04:15 am »
I've been brewing for over 5 years and still wouldn't call myself a "master"! In fact despite all the knowledge I've learned and the education experienced doesn't lead me to categorize myself that way. I feel like the more I learn the less I know about zymurgy.

But to answer the question posted- in my opinion: you are approaching "mastery" when you can repeat your recipes consistently over and over again with little to no variation or error.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:04 am »
You guys that call yourself a brew master would really crack up a true brewmasters (or at least cause an eye roll ;~) ). Just sayin'. I don't care what the dictionary says, in the industry you do not call yourself a brewmaster unless you have earned the title through apprenticeship or degree.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
You guys that call yourself a brew master would really crack up a true brewmasters (or at least cause an eye roll ;~) ). Just sayin'. I don't care what the dictionary says, in the industry you do not call yourself a brewmaster unless you have earned the title through apprenticeship or degree.

Keith is right.

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=30145
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 01:11:02 pm »
But the question is HOMEBREW master. Quite different from the tangent some went off on.
I think of the Texas holdem adage -a few minutes to learn, a lifetime to master. It just takes more than a few minutes to learn.
To me, it would come off as extremely arrogant to refer to yourself as homebrew master. It is for others to refer to you that way.  Obviously it carries much more credibility depending on the source.   

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »
But the question is HOMEBREW master. Quite different from the tangent some went off on.
I think of the Texas holdem adage -a few minutes to learn, a lifetime to master. It just takes more than a few minutes to learn.
To me, it would come off as extremely arrogant to refer to yourself as homebrew master. It is for others to refer to you that way.  Obviously it carries much more credibility depending on the source.   

Aloha everyone!  Hope you're having a great week so far.  Had a good friend pose a question to me the other day so I thought I'd ask your opinions.  He asked me if I considered myself a Brewmaster.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »
The AHA forum has designated me a "Brewmaster"...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »
My question is can I consider myself a Homebrew Master after only 5 years of Homebrew Experience? Probably a stupid question but figured I'd pose the question to my fellow beer enthusiasts.  Thanks and Aloha!

It's okay Keith