Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?  (Read 12282 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »
It really is boiling down to semantics now. Personally, I don't care what people call themselves. Some of you have some pretty awesome beer out there. I know, because I've tried it. I'm just trying to give a little insight into how this is viewed in the industry. But, even as a homebrewer I was always quick to point out that I didn't consider myself a "brewmaster" for the reasons I mentioned above.

Not sure why anyone's discussion on here would be downgraded to a "tangent", but whatever, dude.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: When can you call yourself a Homebrew Master?
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »
Never.  Always learning.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
Letting everyone be called a "brewmaster" is like little kids getting trophies for "participation."
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »
Well I just got a promotion in my brewery.
I was promoted from Brewer to Keg Wrestler.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »
I just call myself a Dumb Homebrewer!! The key is to set the bar low...thus people's expectations are also low.  Once they taste my beer their expectations are exceeded and it makes me and the beer look great! Calling yourself a Homebrew Master is just setting yourself up for failure when someone doesn't like your beers.

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:32 am »
I just call myself a Dumb Homebrewer!! The key is to set the bar low...thus people's expectations are also low.  Once they taste my beer their expectations are exceeded and it makes me and the beer look great! Calling yourself a Homebrew Master is just setting yourself up for failure when someone doesn't like your beers.

I completely agree.  Using titles like "brewmaster" or "homebrew master" seems to imply a level of arrogance and conceit.  I would prefer to let my beer speak for me, and reserve the use of titles for people who have completed the formal training.  One other poster mentioned the "doctor" analogy.  How many of you would trust your life to a "doctor" that had been practicing medical treatment for an extended period of time, but had not completed medical school?  Personally, I want to see that diploma on the wall!
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime.  (Bill Owen)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »
I guess I'm going against the grain here but here goes.  I have never called myself a brewmaster, but I have been introduced by friends as"the brewmaster".  My homebrew was the first good beer(according to them, not me) they ever had, the beer that introduced them to craft and got them off the Bud Lite tit.  I've had quite a few friends take up brewing after drinking my beer.
I don't think I need to have a formal degree in brewing science, I think that after 21 years of brewing I've accumulated enough knowledge and experience that 9 out of 10 beers I brew are damn good beers.  just like Punatic and fishing, experience counts in brewing also.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico