Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Get off Your Can!  (Read 8908 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Get off Your Can!
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:15 pm »
Ok, time and perserve your garden. Let us know how you are canning or perserving your garden. Include recipes.

I got 30 quarts of dill pickles, and a ton of dilly beans and regular beans. I will be doing tomatoes and chicken/turkey broth over the next couple days.

I think it of learning to can and save the garden.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Get off Your Can!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:21 am »
Made a ton of pesto and froze it.  Froze green beans, broccoli, and peaches.  Canned zucchini pickles. About to start drying tomatoes and making tomato sauce for freezing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:32:31 am »
I've made a blend of pickled peppers, dill pickles, and tomato sauce. All separate of course.  I've also frozen some Okra and string beans for winter time consumption.  We're still getting tomatoes, peppers and hops plus an assortment of herbs.
Ron Price

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:51 am »
18 qts. plain tomatoes in jars and 5 gals of Spaghetti sauce on the brewery burner at this moment. I don't have enough tillable land for a big garden...we live on a rock. Neighbor always over plants and has presented me with 7 large flats of tomatoes thus far. Trying to can or dry anything i get so as to save precious freezer space for hops.

Zucchini pickles sound interesting, Denny.

Take fresh Zucc, slice lengthwise in 1/4 strips. Toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. (may have to cut in half if they're larger) Grill them till they're charred then thin out some of that Pesto with a little buttermilk and pour it over the top....lovely.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:51 am »
Pickled okra, tomatoes, beets, pickles, frozen okra, frozen corn, frozen poblanos, pickled jalapenos, smoked and dried jalapenos, dried lemon peppers and habaneros, green beans, roasted frozen eggplant, etc.  Tomatoes were rough this year, too hot, not enough water.  Okra would live through a nuclear disaster.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02:07 am »
Zucchini pickles sound interesting, Denny.

Our normal bread and butter pickle recipe only using zucchini instead of cukes.  We use the same recipe for sweet pickled jalapenos, too.

Take fresh Zucc, slice lengthwise in 1/4 strips. Toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. (may have to cut in half if they're larger) Grill them till they're charred then thin out some of that Pesto with a little buttermilk and pour it over the top....lovely.

Sounds great!  Grilled zucchini is my favorite way to do them.  Usually olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and zest.  Pesto/buttermilk sounds very interesting!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:47:19 pm »
Zucchini works great as a substitute for cuccumbers. I have used them from dill pickles to sweet pickles. It's a better use of them, than to leave them on a neighbors porch.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:30 am »
We canned a few quarts of tomato sauce over the summer but those were tomatos from the CSA. Our sauce tomatoes are not ready yet.

Slowly building up the supply of oaxacan green dent corn as it matures and dries. poor crop, first year garden. But I think we will get enough for 1 batch of tamales.

mostly I am preserving the garden goodness by turning it into me. That and out here is cali you just plant another garden when it starts to get 'cold'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:22 am »
I just made a few quarts of tomato sauce and filled 4 gallon zip lock bags with peeled tomatoes and froze them. Someone at work does this and since i have a deep freezer now, I thought I'd try it out. Did some jalapenos last week and am doing more this week.

I'm also going to smoke and dry some peppers.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:36:04 pm »
I love that yous guys are preserving you garden bounty! Mort dump some serious fertilizer on your garden it sounds like it needs it! Aylewife you are stronger than me doing 18 qts tomatoes and 5G of marina! Good work I'm proud of everyones work. I think it will help everyone when they learn how to preserve their own food. Just bringing back what was lost.
I just got a tear in my eye.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:29:14 am »
Make sauce out of all the extra tomatoes and then freeze and vacseal, though I may try my hand at canning it this fall.

I pickle some mean jalapenos and usually there's a bunch of spicy crisp carrots in the mix.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »
Update 32 quarts of Tomatoes, 24 quarts of stock, 36 quarts of pickles, 24 pints of beets, 30 quarts of beans (dilly and plain), 10 pounds each of califlower, broccoli,corn and beans frozen. Jalapenoes and sweet peppers are still in the house ripening.

Hard to get to be 300# mostly healthy without good food in the house.

See your doctor yearly, as your milege my vary. Do your Loved ones a favor go get yourself a yearly physical, every one of you! Even you skinny bastards. :p

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »
You should be able to eat off that until Spring!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »
Update 32 quarts of Tomatoes, 24 quarts of stock, 36 quarts of pickles, 24 pints of beets, 30 quarts of beans (dilly and plain), 10 pounds each of califlower, broccoli,corn and beans frozen. Jalapenoes and sweet peppers are still in the house ripening.

Hard to get to be 300# mostly healthy without good food in the house.

See your doctor yearly, as your milege my vary. Do your Loved ones a favor go get yourself a yearly physical, every one of you! Even you skinny bastards. :p

I'll see your pickles and raise you 3 gals of sauerkraut!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »
I'll trade some pickles for some kraut.