Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Problem with keg hopping  (Read 9939 times)

Offline edward

• Cellarman
Problem with keg hopping
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:21:06 am »
I've keg hopped my last several IPAs to good effect.  This latest IPA I keg hopped with 2oz of citra and 2 oz of willamette.  It was weird because when I went to pull a pint I could only get an ounce or two to come out before it stopped.  I had though that maybe one of the hop bags got pinned under the pick up tube and was blocking it.  But then I noticed that in the little beer that did come out there was a lot of hop pellet residue.

The hop bag for the willamette hops must have slipped open.  I vented the keg and removed the liquid post and dip tube.  The post was packed full of hops and the dip tube was nearly blocked.

I'm looking for suggestions with what to do next.  I was thinking of removing the lid and siphoning the beer into a new keg.  I'm still concerned that when I siphon it that I will get pellets transferred into the new keg.  I've tried attaching hop bags over the end of the siphon but with a fully carbed beer the co2 would come out of solution when it hits the hop bag and the siphon would stop.

Ideas?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Problem with keg hopping
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:03 am »
Pull out the dip tube again and clean it out, re-sanitize and try again.  Repeat until it's clear.

You could try transferring the beer but I'd try this first.  Last time this happened to me I think it took four or five iterations to get things flowing smoothly again.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:34 am »
You could get a SureScreen and slip it over the end of the dip tube.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
Pull out the dip tube again and clean it out, re-sanitize and try again.  Repeat until it's clear.

You could try transferring the beer but I'd try this first.  Last time this happened to me I think it took four or five iterations to get things flowing smoothly again.

Well...this sort of worked.  After 6 or 7 iterations I got the keg to flow good.  Put it back in the kegerator...which swirled up more mess and it plugged again.  I repeated the cleaning of the dip tube and post a few more times.  Including moving the keg around to get stuff swirled up. Got it going good again, put the keg back in the kegerator.  And it plugged again.

I'm taking a break to watch football and drink beer.  I'll try it again later.

Denny - wouldnt the sure screen cause CO2 to come out of solution as the liquid pass through it?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Problem with keg hopping
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:25:14 pm »

Denny - wouldnt the sure screen cause CO2 to come out of solution as the liquid pass through it?

Nope.  It works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:20:40 am »
I had this problem a couple batches ago. ended up attaching the bottom of a metal tea ball to the end of the dip tube with a piece of grain bag and a rubber band. the tea ball held the bag away from the end of the tube enough that it didn't just clog up immedietly. worked fairly well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:57 am »

Nope.  It works great.

+1...the SureScreen is a beautiful thing.
I do think it works  better with whole hops rather than pellets, but it is indispensable...I have them installed on all of my kegs.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:06 am »
I made my first mash tun out of a 3 gal. round cooler and a SureScreen a la Ken Schwartz's directions.  Only took me 2 batches to move to a bigger cooler and a hose braid and move the SureScreen to a keg.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:16:00 am »
Nope.  It works great.

Yes, the pressure should keep the CO2 in solution.

Kai

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:22 pm »
Surescreen is an awesome dry hopping device. 

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:45 pm »
I cleaned out the post and the dip tube really good and then let the keg settle for a few days.  The flow out of the tap isn't what it should be, but its pretty good.

I will definitely look into the sure screen.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:43 am »
or you can just start hanging your hop bags with teflon tape through the lid gasket to prevent them from getting low enough to block the dip tube.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:09 am »
or you can just start hanging your hop bags with teflon tape through the lid gasket to prevent them from getting low enough to block the dip tube.
Yeah, but that wouldn't help if the bag opened up, which seems to be what happened here.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:24 am »
Yeah, but that wouldn't help if the bag opened up, which seems to be what happened here.

ah - missed that part.  carry on folks.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 11:47:58 am »
I like using muslin hop-socks and tuck them behing the dip tube.  Knots don't slip open. Well, my knots don't slip open.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified