Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar  (Read 15211 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »
i understand you were shooting for high carb levels, but wouldn't that much sugar significantly impact your ABV?

It likely bumped up the ABV by 0.3%, IIRC, and if I calculated that correctly to begin with.

EDIT: Checked my notes, I came up with +0.7% ABV.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 07:17:59 pm »
I absolutely meant 3/4lb, as in 340 grams. I was targeting 5.3 volumes of CO2 in 20L of beer.  I used Champagne bottles, no explosions, but I did have a couple crowns come off unexpectedly.

Wow!  That is some seriously bubbly brew!  How do you prevent massive foam-overs when pouring that?
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime.  (Bill Owen)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:39 pm »
Wow!  That is some seriously bubbly brew!  How do you prevent massive foam-overs when pouring that?

It's actually not that foamy. The reason you do the methode champagnoise is to remove the yeast and as much sediment as you can. Bits of junk in the beer make nucleation sites, and nucleation sites make foam. I've brewed "regular" beers (2.5-2.7 volumes) that were more foamy. The carbonation is more noticeable in the mouthfeel, and the head last a lot longer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 07:30:12 pm »