Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Problem with keg hopping  (Read 9938 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Problem with keg hopping
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
in the keg, I only use leaf hops, never pellets.  And I either go into a nylon bag, or let the swim free, with a sure screen.  I've used a muslin bag, and i've used pellets, but I think the whole idea is to get the oils into your beer while keeping out vegative matter.  Sometimes I'll use both a nylon bag and a sure screen.

I have never had the need to suspend the bag in anyway so it didn't reach the bottom.  Hops float ya know!  I've never had a clog nor a situation where the dry hops went grassy after too much time. 

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »
I had this problem a couple batches ago. ended up attaching the bottom of a metal tea ball to the end of the dip tube with a piece of grain bag and a rubber band. the tea ball held the bag away from the end of the tube enough that it didn't just clog up immedietly. worked fairly well.

In the absence of a surescreen or a tea ball, a copper scrubby rubberbanded to the dip tube works well as a screen for whole hops. Not sure if this would solve your pellet hop escape problem.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Problem with keg hopping
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:57 am »
I had this problem a couple batches ago. ended up attaching the bottom of a metal tea ball to the end of the dip tube with a piece of grain bag and a rubber band. the tea ball held the bag away from the end of the tube enough that it didn't just clog up immedietly. worked fairly well.

In the absence of a surescreen or a tea ball, a copper scrubby rubberbanded to the dip tube works well as a screen for whole hops. Not sure if this would solve your pellet hop escape problem.
I wouldn't use copper in finished beer, but a stainless steel scrubby would work well.
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »
I wouldn't use copper in finished beer, but a stainless steel scrubby would work well.
As long as it's good stainless, I've had "stainless" scrubbies turn black in beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »

What's the concern? Will the copper corrode?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 11:30:29 pm »

What's the concern? Will the copper corrode?

too much copper is not good for you and in a low pH environment like beer there will be a significant amount of leaching
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »
too much copper is not good for you and in a low pH environment like beer there will be a significant amount of leaching
Thanks for that info. A little reading and i'm getting that copper scrubby out of my beer!

Offline beerbrewinwizard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:11 am »
I lay my hopped corny kegs on their side in a X type rack I built. This allows the trub to settle on the side of the keg which is now the bottm. I rotated the keg down (Out Tube) tube so it is just below the surface of the beer inside. As the beer is drafted off I continue to rotated the kep to keep the tube just under the beer surface. You can then rotate (very slowly) the tube up over the beer surface and eject what ever beer is still in the tube by running a mini brew sample off. I read about this technique for using a corny to cask condition. Some time back I thought about assembling a hose with a float in one end that would fit onto the end of the down tube. Then carving or drilling a couple holes through the hose just under the float would allow beer entry. This may remove most of the need to rotate the keg. Just ideas!