Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Midnight Wheat  (Read 6999 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Midnight Wheat
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
What are some good recipe suggestions for the specialty grain Midnight Wheat?  Anyone know what it imparts into a beer other than color?

Thanks!
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Midnight Wheat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:10:03 am »
it being wheat will probably impart some body and head retention. I plan on using it for the first time in a sweet stout in a few weeks.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:06 am »
I threw a few ounces in my Roggenstein a couple weeks ago. Mostly for color, the two liter sample last weekend was deep red, rich and smooth tasting with a great head and lacing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:37 pm »
Basically treat midnight wheat like you would carafa special.  Any recipe where you want color with minimal roast flavor, i.e.

Black IPA
Alt
Roggenbier
Dunkelweizen
Baltic Porter
Mild
Southern English Brown
Schwarzbier

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »
It has a really mellow coffee like roast. This and blackprinz are hands down the best malt you will find from briess.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »
It has a really mellow coffee like roast. This and blackprinz are hands down the best malt you will find from briess.

Keith,
How many bags of this did you end up with from NHC? I had 5-6, but my cats ate a couple bags...

oh, and I used this to adjust the color (more red) to my first flanders red. I put 1 bag (bout 1.5 oz) in 2 cups of water, cold steeped for about an hour (same as mash) and then strained and added about 1/2 to 2/3 into the wort at the beginning of a boil. It was right on the color I was shooting for.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:35:20 pm by garc_mall »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:13 pm »

Keith,
How many bags of this did you end up with from NHC? I had 5-6, but my cats ate a couple bags...

None, because I had several 50 lbs sacks of it back at my brewery. I use it now over the carafa special.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:48:26 pm »
I have a lb so I'm gonna ask, how much for a nice red colour?  I haven't used it yet but I bought it cause I wanted to make a red wheat beer (there's a type of wheat called hard red winter wheat so I thought it would be a neat play on words to make a spiced "hard red winter wheat" (I work with too many farmers).

Just wondering how many ounces would make a nice red colour in a 5 gal batch.
Thanks

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:55 am »
I have a lb so I'm gonna ask, how much for a nice red colour?  I haven't used it yet but I bought it cause I wanted to make a red wheat beer (there's a type of wheat called hard red winter wheat so I thought it would be a neat play on words to make a spiced "hard red winter wheat" (I work with too many farmers).

Just wondering how many ounces would make a nice red colour in a 5 gal batch.
Thanks

as a very generic answer Id say 4-6 oz will get you the color you want.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 11:21:58 am »
Basically treat midnight wheat like you would carafa special.  Any recipe where you want color with minimal roast flavor, i.e.

Black IPA
Alt
Roggenbier
Dunkelweizen
Baltic Porter
Mild
Southern English Brown
Schwarzbier

+1  I used it in my Black IPA last month and really enjoyed the results.  I did a 50:50 split between midnight wheat and carafa special II for the roast character.  By the way, the only reason I used the midnight wheat is because I got a free sample of it.  But like I said, I enjoyed the results.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
Thanks for the info guys!  They had a decent looking recipe for a black IPA using Midnight Wheat on the Briess website so I may give that a try.  I have 2#'s so I can probably use it in a couple recipes.  The red wheat sounds like a good idea.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee