Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avery homebrew recipes  (Read 13166 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Avery homebrew recipes
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »
It doesn't look like this has been posted here, so....

Avery has put homebrew versions of their recipes online at http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/ .  I'm a big fan of Maharajah.  I might have to give it a go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Avery homebrew recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:40 pm »
Thanks. Great info.

Interesting that they ferment CA yeast at 68. I always thought it worked better much lower. I may give this a try.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:48:44 pm by thirsty »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:03:42 pm »
Bookmarked! Thanks for the link. It would be nice to see The Beast up there at some point.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »
Those recipes look pretty good, and it's really cool they posted those.

I got that recipe for their Reverend back in 2008? It turned out really poorly. I know it's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools, but I'd caution against brewing that beer exactly as they outlined it. I'd ditch the cara-45 and cara-20. I've brewed it without those, and I thought it was closer to the "real deal" than with the version with the light crystal.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:47:16 pm »
Props to Avery for posting these, and to Denny for reposting them here!

I might also have to give Maharaja a shot, as I love that beer.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
I wrote a quick note to Avery, and thought I'd repost the exchange here. Those guys are really a class act.

Me: Thanks so much for putting your homebrew recipes online. I started brewing because of a clone for White Rascal I got from you guys. I really appreciate you guys sharing your recipes and encouraging homebrewers.

The next morning I got a reply from Adam Avery: "Hey, so glad you are using those recipes!! Our head brewer (cc'ed) put some time into those!! Good brewing to ya!!"

And from Matt Thrall (head brewer):"Thanks for the kind words.  Our view on beer: it's for sharing!  This includes recipes, processes, and anything that helps put more delicious beer out into the world.  Good luck with the brews and if you ever have a question, please don't hesitate to shoot me an email. Take care and keep the kettle boiling."

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:04 pm »
Awesome response from Avery!

I like Avery beers and I'm gonna brew up some Jubilation this weekend to get ready for December.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »
That's very cool but some of those hop schedules don't make sense to me for homebrewing. I assume their 0 minute additions are whirlpool, which will extract some bitterness, or at least as I understand things. I plugged their IPA into BeerSmith and got 23 IBU.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »
That's very cool but some of those hop schedules don't make sense to me for homebrewing. I assume their 0 minute additions are whirlpool, which will extract some bitterness, or at least as I understand things. I plugged their IPA into BeerSmith and got 23 IBU.

Hop extraction is a lot higher in commercial-sized batches. I think those are scaled-down from big recipes (which would explain the odd fractions of ounces). I'd probably compare what Beersmith tells me to what they publish for the IBUs on the beer page, and scale the bittering hops to fit my system. But, that's just a guess and I'm sure you could shoot Matt an email to pick his brain on that.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
Hop extraction is a lot higher in commercial-sized batches. I think those are scaled-down from big recipes (which would explain the odd fractions of ounces). I'd probably compare what Beersmith tells me to what they publish for the IBUs on the beer page, and scale the bittering hops to fit my system. But, that's just a guess and I'm sure you could shoot Matt an email to pick his brain on that.

That makes sense about scaling down and hop utilization. I'll have to fiddle with that IPA recipe a bit; I really like that beer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:55 am »
Thanks for posting - I too will have to give Maharaja a shot - definitely better than buying $8 bombers!

FWIW - I've emailed them for years and they have always stated they used WY1028 as their house yeast.  Maybe they changed, I don't know.   

And finally - the Old Jubilation recipe is the exact one i used a few years back - won BOS with it in 2011 (~300 entry comp).  Used the 1028 yeast though... :o
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:02:15 am »
FWIW on the tour I took in 2008, the guide said they used Chico for most of their regular beers, and 3787 (Westmalle) for most of their Belgians.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:03 am »
well I'll be - 

nonetheless, I'd still use 1028 in Old Jubi!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:35 am »
Maybe they do really use 1028 in that beer. Old Jub is a seasonal, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used a different yeast strain from their others. I'm pretty sure their IPA, Stout, Porter and Brown all use the same yeast, and Chico sounds right for those.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:20:46 am »
And finally - the Old Jubilation recipe is the exact one i used a few years back - won BOS with it in 2011 (~300 entry comp).  Used the 1028 yeast though... :o

Thanks Blatz on the heads up about 1028 and congrats on the 2011 BOS.  I'm looking forward to brewing Jubilation and have a question for you.  How long did you let your Jubilation age?  I'm gonna brew some this weekend and let it go for a couple of months. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg