Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc  (Read 8841 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:05 am »
Do you experienced brewers have a preference for one over the other?  Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:25:41 am »
Whirlflock is prepared Irish moss. It dissolves better and works better IME than plain IM.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:47:38 am »
Whirlflock is prepared Irish moss. It dissolves better and works better IME than plain IM.

+1.  And no measuring.  Just throw in a tablet.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:56:11 am »
+1.  An all-around superior product.
Jon H.

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 06:22:59 am »
Thanks for the quick response HoosierBrew, davidzach and majorvices...

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
Do you experienced brewers have a preference for one over the other?  Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc?

ive used both and prefer whirlfloc. play around with it, but i found a half tablet does the trick for the average 5 gal batch.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:57 am »
I haven't found Whirlfloc to work better than IM, but I keep using it anyway.  The manufacturer says 1 tab is good for 12 gal. and should be added 5 min. before the end of boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:17 pm »
I used a whole whirlfloc tab in my last 5 gal batch and ended up with about 2 inches of trub.  I think 1/2 tab for the next batch.  Thanks sort-h.o.g. for that info.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:57:29 am »
Yeah, 1/2 tab for 5 gallons. Fwiw the commercial instructions are "about 50 tablets per 10 bbls" and they recommend upping the dosage on higher gravity worts.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
I used to use both, but haven't for a while because I'm not sure it really matters for me since I lift and dump my wort into the carboy instead of draining from a valve. And also, I agitate my chiller when it gets to about 70-80F to mix the wort more and chill faster. So I'm not sure it even helps to use the stuff for me. But maaaaaybe it does...hmmm.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Irish Moss vs. Whirlfloc
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:42:08 am »
I used to use both, but haven't for a while because I'm not sure it really matters for me since I lift and dump my wort into the carboy instead of draining from a valve. And also, I agitate my chiller when it gets to about 70-80F to mix the wort more and chill faster. So I'm not sure it even helps to use the stuff for me. But maaaaaybe it does...hmmm.

I had run out for several months and recently bought some more and was reminded how well it works when I saw the clarity in the hydrometer flasks.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:21:06 am »

I had run out for several months and recently bought some more and was reminded how well it works when I saw the clarity in the hydrometer flasks.
Well, perhaps it's time I give them another try.
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33:25 am »

Well, perhaps it's time I give them another try.

I would.  I bought a 1# bag just so I didn't run in to Keith's dilemma.  Although that probably would equate to a truckload for him!

Dave
Dave Zach