Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing over Two days  (Read 5901 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing over Two days
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:26 pm »
The other option would be to mash in overnight?

OK. I hadn't thought of that. I mash in a 10 gal igloo. If my start temp is 154* and I let it sit for 20-24 hours the temp will fall to an unknown. Probably room temp of 65*. What is that going to do for conversion? Kind of a reverse step mash? Does that work to go from high to low for converting?

Well, I thinking more like 8hrs, 10hrs max (basically right before you go to bed).  20-24 hrs would be a little more than "I" am comfortable with.  Your mash may convert a little more than usual and the resulting beer may attenuate more than usual and end up a little thin.  Also, the pH may drop a bit as lactobacillus may take over a little (which may not be a bad thing).  But, (A) it never hurts to try most things once,  and (B) if you are comforatble with it, go for it.  And, do what Denny suggests ;D  I wouldn't worry about it converting...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:27:34 pm by hoser »

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 08:46:39 pm »
I have collected the wort at night and then commenced with the boil 10-12 hours later several times. I have never had an issue with it. It has worked great and I will continue to do it without hesitation. It is the best way I have found to cut the brew day in about half. It can easily and successfully be done.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 06:53:22 am »
If this were true then why does the grist from a mash tend to sour after a day or two?  I think you'd be safer to bring the wort to a boil and then let it sti until the next day.

I agree, but IME unboiled wort in a sterile container doesn't start fermenting for at least 3-5 days. 24 hours is probably 99.9% safe.
Real experience trumps theoretical concerns every time.  Glad to hear it, since it takes a fair amount of time to bring wort to boil and the heating is redundant so less efficient.

Actually though, I found that after I brouoght the stuff to boil and got a hot break, once it cooled by the following evening I had a tone of protein break that had coagulated nicely and floated to the top for the most part.  The wort was extra clear too.  It made me wonder if this extra step of heating/cooling prior to the official boil, might not improve clarity.  Of course I'll probably never follow up on this since clarity isn't usually an issue anyway, and its a pain to drag a brew day out that much.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jklinck

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 08:39:45 am »
I experimented with this a few years ago. Since I was making a saison I figured if the wort soured a little before the boil then it wouldn't be an issue. I mashed, sparged, boiled for 30 minutes, added some fermcap (foam control) and put the lid on the kettle while it was still boiling (the lid was already cleaned and sanitized). I left the lid on for a few seconds and would then check to see if the foam/hot break was rising. After doing this a few times I left the lid on for about ten seconds and then stopped boiling. I let the wort sort like this for 3 days. On my final brewday I tasted the wort and it had not soured at all. Since then I've done this many times with all kinds of different styles and have yet to have an issue. Being that the wort is essentially sterile from boiling for 30 minutes and the lid has been cleaned, sanitized and steam sterilized from the boil then there isn't really any way for bacteria to find it's way into the kettle. As long as you keep the lid in place.
BJCP National Judge, D0872

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 12:00:36 pm »
never done it, but I would think you would definitely want to make sure to get it above 168df before leaving it, otherwise, you'll have some highly attenuative wort.

one of my friends used to do this as a SOP, and he constantly was getting wayy too high of attenuation (mid single digits) so he went back to full brew sessions and that problem was solved.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281