Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlfloc and Fluffy Trub  (Read 17830 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Whirlfloc and Fluffy Trub
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:07:41 am »
Using one tablet whirlfloc at 15 minutes remaining in the boil.

One tablet is good fir 12 gal. so if you're making a smaller batch you can cut it in half.  Also, the manufacturer recommends using it at 5 min., not 15.  Oftentimes when it gets repackaged the retailer puts their own directions on it, which are usually "one tab, 15 min.".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 11:10:47 am »
+1.  Clumps settle over time, and I get much clearer beer than with regular IM.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:13 am »
+1.  Clumps settle over time, and I get much clearer beer than with regular IM.

I have heard many people say that whirlfloc works better.  I used IM for 10 years and Whirlfloc for the last 5 and I really can't see a difference.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:21 am »
Whirlflock is really just powdered Irish Moss and a binder isn't it. you could pulverize some IM and have essentially the same thing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:53 am »
Whirlflock is really just powdered Irish Moss and a binder isn't it. you could pulverize some IM and have essentially the same thing.

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 03:18:15 pm »

Yep.

Sure is convenient.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »

Yep.

Sure is convenient.

Yeah, that must be why I keep buying it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »
This is interesting to me, because I have never not used whirlfloc since ive been all grain brewing. I've always questioned this fluffyness. I'm thinking this explains the reason why I suck at whirlpooling lol. Essentially, I don't suck at it, but the whirfloc could possibly prevent the trub from coning up? Does regular irish moss have this affect on trub too? If so, I'll just continue to use whirlfloc and continue to filter with the sock.
Frank

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:07 am »
So are you guys really worried about the clarity of your beer or what's the deal? I don't have clarity issues and I don't use whirlfloc or irish moss. I don't need every beer to be clear like a lager either. Enough cold time (a couple weeks) gives me a nice clear beer.
Or is there an actual flavor difference that using whirlfloc aids in improving? This all just seems like paranoia and OCD stuff to me.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 08:48:16 am »
I wonder if it is an interaction between a particular recipe and Whirlfloc.  The reason I say this is I do not recall  experiencing this until my most recent brew - and I always use whirlfloc.  It should be said that I have only done 9-10 brews since starting last Fall.  The recent brew where it showed up was a Zombie Dust clone.

The unique features for this brew were: lots of Citra hops (10 oz.), and Cara-Pils grain.  Honestly it looked to me like hop sludge.  I always use a hop-sack, which retains most of the hop material.  But maybe Citra hops have a higher percentage of really small particles that excape the hop-sack?

What do you more experienced brewers think of this idea?  Is it possible that the massive fluffy trub is due to a particular recipe ingredient?

Could be the recipe, though not necessarily the whirlfloc.  When pH isn't low enough, you get inferior protein coagulation and hot break.  Some of it probably is hop trub as well.

It *should* look like egg drop soup after flameout.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 10:14:19 am »
So are you guys really worried about the clarity of your beer or what's the deal? I don't have clarity issues and I don't use whirlfloc or irish moss. I don't need every beer to be clear like a lager either. Enough cold time (a couple weeks) gives me a nice clear beer.
Or is there an actual flavor difference that using whirlfloc aids in improving? This all just seems like paranoia and OCD stuff to me.

I'm not gonna swear that using either IM or Whirlfloc makes a world of difference.  I have noticed that when I forget it the beer seems to take longer to clear.  But it still clears eventually.

I have CDO.....it's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:01 am »

I don't worry about the clarity of my beer, but I find a clear beer much more aesthetically pleasing. "You drink with your eyes first". So, I use whirlfloc and usually gelatin or biofine later in the keg. Just my preference.

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:45 am »
I have CDO.....it's like OCD, but the letters are in the right order.

I love that - might be my new tagline!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281